Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Poisoning and Environmental Health Forum

Danger of inhaling ammonia fumes from large amounts of pet urine

We recently moved into a rental that we found out afterwards was previously inhabited by a family with 12 pets. They locked them up in rooms and these rooms are full of urine. Stains that are larger than a large dining room table in most of the rooms. The smell coming from them and the stairwell (also massively stained) is revolting. We are all reacting to it in different ways...headaches..red, itchy eyes...burning throats...rashes on the skin...ect... Our landlord refuses to do anything about it, stating that it is not a health hazard...the carpet cleaning company informed him that it is but that it would cost him more to do the pet treatment than to replace the carpets. Help!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 5th, 2013
Urine smell from dogs causing severe allergy problems
We just bought a house and the previous owner had 3 large dogs and we had the carpet cleaned before we moved in after the first two weeks my allergies are so bad I wake up with a headache itchy eyes chest tightness sore throat and sore mouth. I also recently had sinus surgery 7 months ago before this move so this is making it worse since my sinuses are not completely healed yet. We have ripped carpet up but I'm beginning to wonder could this be lingering in the air system. I now have to start allergy shots in the next 2 weeks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on solving this problem.
|
Did you find this post helpful?