Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Daily mood swings

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
I'm 17 years old and for the last two years I've been having mood swings. I go from really depressed to unusaly upbeat and energetic. I researched bipolar and I can relate to a lot of the symptoms although I've never bought anything I couldn't afford or cheated on my boyfriend while I've been in a 'good' mood.
When I'm in a 'good' mood I don't get tired, I have loads of energy, feel happy no matter what's going on in my life, I get very exciting by things only a child would find excitable, I have racing thoughts, I'm easily distracted, find it hard to concentrate.
When I'm in a 'bad' mood I find it extremely hard to get out of bed, I get angry, I have no interest in things I usually enjoy, I'm always tired, my memory is awful (this is all the time) my appetite changes.
My moods usually change numerous times a day and it's usually depressed/angry and stable moods I'm in, the 'good' moods don't happen as often.
Among these I also get very disturbing images and thoughts in my head, I don't know where these images/thoughts come from.
I've already been diagnosed with depression and seeing a counsellor. Just want some help figuring this out, thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 11th, 2010
You sound just like how my daughter used to feel. She was diagnosed with Bipolar II. It's not as manic or as low as Bipolar I and often cycles rapidly. In her case every day but can occur differently - weekly, every couple of days etc. Definately sounds like a mood disorder - a chemical imbalance in the brain that needs treating by a good psychiatrist. My daughter's rapid cycling daily meant she was 'up' at night - happy, excitable, loads of energy and down every morning depressed, no motivation - wouldn't get out of bed or have a shower etc. Her downs were more than her ups but when we wrote down an hourly record of how she was feeling over a week we could see the pattern. Good luck. Please seek treatment - counselling alone will help but you might need a professional and get medication to get your chemical imbalance straightened out.
|
Did you find this post helpful?