Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

daily acid reflux at night, heartburn, abdominal discomfort

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
User Profile
Hi Doctor,
i really need your valuable opinion on this :
5 months back i consumed excessive alcohol and had bad vomiting the next morning.. ever since that day i have been having daily acid reflux at night,heartburn,abdominal discomfort and shallow breathing at night times.it feels very uncomfortable i cant lie down etc..
doc gave me PPIs for about a month and the symptoms went away..
i was fine for 2 months.i was able to eat n drink ne thing i want..
now recently these symptoms r back again and doc started ppis, but developed nausea,upper abdomen pain too...
so now doc has started h.pylori treatmnet for me for 7 days.
i did a ultrasound abdomen and everything was normal.blood count etc is normal.. i have thyroid problems.. i just want to know if this is going to be a permanrent thing every day or it will reduce /get healed in time..
also what could be the reason for this? Is it cancer or some problem in my lungs cuz i hv shallow breathing when i hv reflux symptoms..

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2011
Acid Reflux Answer A27914
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Women are more affected by alcohol and can become sick after 2-3 drinks.This is because women break down alcohol more slowly than men because there is a smaller amount of alcohol metabolizing enzyme (alcohol dehydrogenase) in the stomach of women. Alcohol intake causes stomach,heart,liver and kidney diseases.So please abstain from it.

Also keep on taking the PPI inhibitors that your doctor has prescribed. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also keep your fluid electrolyte balance optimum by drinking lots of fluids.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.