Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

da i have to trust pcr test after 20 days after posible exposure

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
do i have to trust pcr test after 20 days after posible exposure?hi i did the pcr test after 20 days after posible exposure and in came back negative after a week i have sypmthoms like sore throat swalowed limph node on neck on left side white tongue ,can i trust the pcr test?i did the regular hiv test they was negative after 25 days,and i did another regular test afte 31 day that one also came back neg PLEASE HELP im going crazy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Yes, you can rely on the HIV PCR results.

Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for proviral DNA (PCR -DNA) is a important test that can detect ‎proviral DNA during window period, can differentiate latent HIV infection from active viral transcription ‎and can quantitate the copy number of HIV DNA when used with external standards (e.g. viral load ‎assays). The DNA PCR is the absolute most sensitive test for HIV.
‎
For proper and valid results, it is recommended to take this test after 2 weeks of a suspected ‎exposure. Since you underwent the test after 20 days, the test results are very reliable.

Your sorethroat is possibly due to bacterial pharyngitis, which may need treatment with antibiotics. Hence you may consult your doctor for a examination and proper advice.

I hope this helps.
‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.