Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

cytotec effects on baby (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
Cytotec and the first month of pregnancy
Posted: 08-06-08 10:21am

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

im so confused, i need help. im pregnant, i didnt want it at first and i used cytotec to abort the baby when the baby was only a month and a few days old. After taking it, nothing happened. I just had few minimal cramps but no bleeding. I learned that cytotec are used for people with ulcers. now im pregnant for almost 3 months. i had a transviginal ultrasound twice, the diagnose was remarkable because the baby was moving well. the heart beat is normal so as the oxygen circulation. l my main question is, what effect will it cause my baby? will my baby become abnormal due to the cytotec i used? will it hinder its development? i mean like physically or mentally abnormal? thank u so much in advance.

DoctorAnswer

Doctor Answer

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

If a damaging factor is introduced in the first month of pregnancy the fertilized egg cell will be either destroyed completely (very early miscarriage) or there won’t be any damage. Since you are 3 months pregnant I believe that Cytotec didn’t cause any damage to the embryo.

that was actually my concern before and below it is the doctor's reply, i would just like to confirm something... does it mean that my baby will be safe from abnormalities both physically and mentally? I still experience a few but not too painful cramps every now and then... what does it mean? thank you so much
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper help_us1020
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
Re: cytotec effects on baby
hotlipz wrote:
Cytotec and the first month of pregnancy
Posted: 08-06-08 10:21am

im so confused, i need help. im pregnant, i didnt want it at first and i used cytotec to abort the baby when the baby was only a month and a few days old. After taking it, nothing happened. I just had few minimal cramps but no bleeding. I learned that cytotec are used for people with ulcers. now im pregnant for almost 3 months. i had a transviginal ultrasound twice, the diagnose was remarkable because the baby was moving well. the heart beat is normal so as the oxygen circulation. l my main question is, what effect will it cause my baby? will my baby become abnormal due to the cytotec i used? will it hinder its development? i mean like physically or mentally abnormal? thank u so much in advance.

DoctorAnswer

Doctor Answer

If a damaging factor is introduced in the first month of pregnancy the fertilized egg cell will be either destroyed completely (very early miscarriage) or there won’t be any damage. Since you are 3 months pregnant I believe that Cytotec didn’t cause any damage to the embryo.

that was actually my concern before and below it is the doctor's reply, i would just like to confirm something... does it mean that my baby will be safe from abnormalities both physically and mentally? I still experience a few but not too painful cramps every now and then... what does it mean? thank you so much

Abdominal cramping to a mild extent is just the uterus enlarging as the fetus grows. I'm 22 weeks along and still experience what feels like mild menstral cramps.
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
hi... bossmama i hope you can get me a reply im having the same problem now i was just wondering how did it go with you ang the baby... hoping you reply soon
|

replied September 24th, 2008
Thanks for your reply bossmama but did you take cytotec too before? or you didn't? i was asking about the possible condition of a child and my tummy seems small for a 4-month-old womb. Im just concerned about it. thanx!
|

replied September 25th, 2008
hotlipz wrote:
Thanks for your reply bossmama but did you take cytotec too before? or you didn't? i was asking about the possible condition of a child and my tummy seems small for a 4-month-old womb. Im just concerned about it. thanx!

No, never toook cytotec but I am pregnant and know what you might feel. You might ask an OB/GYN. At 4 months you'd only just start showing a little, your tummy doesn't really get big till about 6 months.
|

replied September 25th, 2008
Ah i see, i dont really know all of this, i mean it's my first baby so i'm so concerned about it, plus i took something to terminate it but it didnt work as well and we decided to just continue the baby. Thank you so much for your opinion, at least i know that mild cramps are normal and my tummy size is just right as well.
|

replied February 11th, 2009
Hi.
Check this website. It will help you. I also have some problems. Because my GF takes also Cytotec. So please inform me with you and your baby. This url has a story about an experience and a wonderful outcome. Keep praying. Please pray for my Girlfriend to continue her pregnancy. Thanks.
|

replied April 12th, 2009
please tell me
hi how are you guys im in pregnant but i dont know if how many months just i know is i have my period last jan 31 but till then i didnt get my period i just get spot for every month then no w i use cytotec lastnight i got spot but i didnt totaly abort the baby i feel is like moving in my stomach what i can i do what if i take other cytotec
|

replied September 6th, 2009
i also take cytotec when i was 3 or 4 months pregnant! coz im not yet ready to have 2nd baby! if im not mistaken i took 11 to 15 cytotec! but nothing really happened! now im 6 months pregnant and i can feel my baby always moving in my tummy! i didnt tell my ob bout this but im still afraid! please give me some advice! thanks!
|

replied December 10th, 2011
hi can you tell me if the baby was born healthy?
|

replied November 30th, 2009
cytotec for miscarriage, didnt work still have baby ne b.defects
Im not sure if ill get a reply but, My doc prescribed me to take Cytotec because the fetus wasnt growing and my hcg levels werent rising.. Now almost a week after I take it, i go back into the dr. office for a check up to find a 6wk old fetus with a heartbeat. NOW Im nervous that the lil baby will have birth defects. I asked the OB and he said there was a 90% chance it wont.. but these are the same ppl that told me to take the meds bc the baby wasnt growing and i was miscarring. PLEASE i do need some help, has anyone been in the same boat? My levels went from 8500(before meds) to 5400 (after meds) and the baby is measuring 3 weeks smaller than supposed to!
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
hi sarahgus....i just want to ask how did it goes with you and your baby???
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Ok ladies, here is what cytotec is. Cytotec is a drug they use to help terminate pregnancies. They also use it to help labor along. It is a cervical ripening agent, meaning it helps thin out the cervix, which can both expel a pregnancy (ie abort) or help further along a stalled labor. If the cytotec DID not work in aborting the fetus, the only side effects are related to uterine rupture, leading to maternal or fetal death due to bleeding. There are no effects listed that I could find that say that the fetus would measure smaller or be deformed in any way. The only adverse side effects were maternal bleeding and uterine rupture, and that was for use during labor. The risk is extremely low for that, about 1-2%. The risk of your fetus being damaged by Cytotec is also VERY low, even lower than the risk of a uterine rupture.
|

replied December 7th, 2009
i need help plz..... my gf was a 3months pregnant but she doesn't like to continue it because of some reason so he wanted to use a cytotec to abort the baby.... do you think it would still be effective to use it?
|

replied March 17th, 2010
help me please
can u help me.. i am four moths pregnant.. i didnt know that i am pregnant since i go for check up.. i am irregular in menstruation,, the reason why its too late when i knew this.. aside from cytotec what another medication should i take to abort this??? badly needed your help.. pls
|

replied June 6th, 2011
baby
if you are healthy, please dont abort the baby.
|

replied April 20th, 2010
Killer Drug
I too took cytotec the first month of pregnancy. The results were not so good. I made it to the 5th month but the baby died due to severe birth defects. Very sad. I hate this drug!
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2010
need advice
i need help i took cytotec when i was 5 weeks pregnant and it didnt work now im 8 weeks pregnant and dont know if i should have a surgical abortion because i am scared that the baby might have problems or if it wont be normal if i decide to keep it. i am so confused.
|

replied August 13th, 2010
i wonder if cytotec worked
since this is my first time i cannot really tell in what month im already in. but i did not have my menstruation on the month that i should have, i was supposed to have it july 25-3o. and yet i did not, though last june i have. i have been experiencing the early sign of pregnancy dat's why i tried cytotec last saturday. i bleed immediately after taking it. from saturday- wednesday. around thurs night i discovered a small blood followed friday morning. i am so affraid that this maybe what they called spotting (another sign of pregnancy) how can i tell if it is spotting or not. i am also experiencing pain in my left abdomen i am paranoid already because i read it is another sign of pregnancy. PLEASE HELP ME. i really dont have any idea. i bleed for a week and yet i still doubt. please help me. i dont have enough money to undergo test to know if im pregnant or what. SO PLEASE HELP ME. if ever i can have a test besides pregnancy test because i heard it is not that reliable what other test can i take. PLEASE IM DESPERATE Sad
|

replied September 6th, 2010
i took cytotec when i was 5 weeks now im 11 the pill didnt work but im scare it affeted the baby any help?
|

replied December 14th, 2010
Cytotec and have a baby
I used Cytotec three times for this year. Would it be a problem if I want to have a baby?
|

replied January 15th, 2011
help
im 3mos. and 1wk preg. same here i used cytotec to abort my baby,, i did it twice.. the first try was not so good cause nothing happened. second try, i experienced heavy bleeding. i had my checked up and ultrasound the ob said that my baby was still there and i saw her heartbeat. i thought that my baby was gone but then,, mos pass i experienced heavy bleeding again.. im afraid of the deffects,, my tummy is not so normal with those who is 3mos pregnant,, im not yet going to my check u..im confused if my baby is healthy, or shes gone
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied September 21st, 2011
Somebody wants to hep me? Please! I am pregnant. I'm not exactly sure if it is 1 month or 2 months pregnant. I buy 3 sytotec but I doesn't takes it yet because I was too afraid and mind confusing(conscience). Anyways please answer my question, if I take 2 sytotec as an oral and I put the 1 sytotec in my vagina is this the procedure to abort the baby? Is this effective? and if I take sytotec, Do I need to go for want they call "raspa?"
please looking forwad for your responce.
|
12 >>