Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

3 cysts on my right ovary, pain in my back and hip

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Over week ago, I was working out and was experiencing pain in my back (right side) radiating through my hip bone . Then, it moved to my right lower abdomen area (near the start of my pelvic bone). The pain was excruciating and I was vomiting. I went to the hospital and they said that they found (through an ultrasound) 3 cysts on my right ovary that may be the cause of my pain (the cysts were not twisted, they found no kidney stones and I had an appectdomy a few years ago). They sent me home with a pain killer and an antibiotic (for an UTI). I was in pain and vomiting for a good 4 days and then it went away. However, yesterday, I went running and the pain in my back and hip was still bothering me. Do problems with the cysts still linger like this? Will the pain stop or can it be something else? I have been to two emergency rooms and my OBGYN. Any help or advice you can provide is appreciated!! I am running a half marathon in May and very anxious to start my training again.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A31501
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Sudden and severe pelvic pain, often with nausea and vomiting, is often associated with inflammatory changes in ovarian cysts. They are more pronounced due to cysts rupturing and resulting in internal bleeding.

Since tests already have been done and they have ruled out ovarian torsion and other complications, it is likely, that your symptoms could be mainly due to inflammation.

Functional ovarian cysts usually don't need treatment. They usually disappear within 8 - 12 weeks without treatment.

Taking pain medications might help to a major extent. In case they are not helping, treatment with prescription medications like Naproxen or Ibuprofen might be helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.