Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Cyst on pancreas

Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....
User Profile
I am writting even though I it may be premature to do so. But I have been devasted by the news at the docs. I have had some discomfort in my right side abdomen just under the edge of my rib cage. I had an ultrasound done and the doc told me I have a cyst in my pancreas...now I am scheduled for a CT scan and I am freaking out of what it might be. The doctor has put a rush on it..and this has made me even more nervous. I drink but mostly on weekdays , and usually have a beer daily...what is going on??? I have had heart burn and bloating as well for some time, and many times loose stools. Guess I am looking for good news or something comforting...anyone know what is going on and should I worry???

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2010
Pancreas Disorders Answer A10675
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

Pancreatic cysts are common with alcoholism. Usually, they are single but multiple cysts can occur in a few cases. They can also happen in gall stone disease related pancreatitis. In children usual cause is trauma. Apart from these causes, very rare causes include tumors and necrosis related cysts.

Most common investigations like liver function tests, enzyme level assay in aspirated fluids and cytology are helpful in confirming the diagnosis. Cancer can be ruled by performing analysis for CEA. Imaging studies like ultrasound, CT, MRI, endoscopic ultrasound are helpful in confirming the size and diagnosis.

Most cysts require supportive therapy and resolve over time. Drainage of the fluid from cysts is done only when they are symptomatic and leading to complications. So, you need to wait for the scanning report and a decision can be made only after that. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreas Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.