Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Cyst causing severe back pain ?

Must Read
Cervical cancer typically develops over many years. But when does cervical cancer occur and how do doctors define the disease? ...
How are HPV and cervical cancer related? And how can you place yourself out of risk for developing cervical cancer? More here....
Abnormal menstruation can be a sign of cervical cancer. Learn the signs and symptoms of serious "female problems" and when to seek medical help here....
I went to the emergency room twice last week with severe lower back pain. It was worse then labor pains. I thought it might be kidney stones (even though I've never had them), but the CAT Scan revealed a baseball size cyst on my left ovary. I went to see my gyno. and he gave me a shot of Depravera and said to wait about 3-4 weeks and they will do another ultra sound to see if it shrinks. If not, then the ovary will need to be removed. Is it possible this cyst could create so much pain? Also, when and how do they check this to see if it is cancerous. Cancer runs in our family, so it does make me a little uneasy. Thank you for your response.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2010
Very large ovarian cysts can indeed create discomfort. In rare cases, such cysts can also cause the ovary to twist (torsion), and the ovary can die due to loss of blood flow.

In most cases, a pelvic ultrasound will also be performed for large pelvic cysts. The appearance of the cyst by ultrasound, as well as a blood test known as "CA 125," are often helpful in determining if the cyst is more likely to be benign versus malignant. In many cases, however, a large or/and complex ovarian cyst may require surgery in order to make the diagnosis (and to remove the cyst/ovary).

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race" (2010)

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.