Medical Questions > Parenting > Single Parents Forum

Custody and moving

My son has lived with me since birth. He is 8 1/2 years old now. His father and I were never married. His father has been in and out of his life since he was 4 months old. The longest he went without seeing my son was almost 2 years. He only makes contact with us if he needs something, and has never asked how our son is. He does not have visitation rights or custody. He does however pay child support monthly.

I am engaged to a wonderful man who is in the military and is stationed in a different state. My son and I plan on moving at the end of this month to our home where my fiancée and I will be married. My fiancée, we've been friends for over 5 years, has a great relationship with my son and my son tells people that he's getting a "new daddy".

How long should we wait before trying to see if my son can be adopted by my fiancée, after we're married?

Also, I was told by a lawyer that I have full custody because of possession, so do I need to get anything on paper, stating that I have full/sole custody of my son?

Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply