Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

Crestor side effects ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
Which statin do you take?
Crestor
Lipitor
Zocor
89%  89%  [ 44 ]
10%  10%  [ 5 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 49
Does anybody else take the statin Crestor? I just started and was wondering if anybody else had problems with it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RainerL
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I do not take Crestor but I thought I'd look for some information for you. I found this website that lists all of the information, including side effects of Crestor. I hope it helps you!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf o/meds/a603033.html
|
Users who thank kfkohio for this post: aflsh 

replied November 2nd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Thank you for the response. I will check it out.
|

replied May 21st, 2009
Crestor
Since my aunt started Crestor, 4-5 years ago, she has suffered significant memory loss, shortness of breath, and difficulty walking. (from 1 mile per day 2 years ago to only about 30 feet at a time now. My aunt is in her 80s, and I talked her into stopping the drug last month. I hope things improve. BEWARE OF THIS DRUG!
|

replied August 20th, 2009
CRESTOR
I am 45 & I was given this drug to lower my cholesterol, after 2 weeks I noticed cramping in my joints. Irritable Bowel Syndrome followed with chronic constipation, fatigue while feeling quite dizzy. The scariest thing for me was loss of my ability to recall words & and certain memory loss. I stopped this medication after the month & have since found all this information out on the internet.

Statin's can also cause permanent liver & kidney damage.

I'm surprised they even let drugs like this onto the market, what are they thinking of?? I am furious.

"BEWARE"
|

replied May 12th, 2011
Galloping Collywobbles and "Carpal Tunnel-like" syndro
I started taking Crestor and after about a week, I developed a severe case of the "galloping collywobbles" (let's just say, it was in everyone's best interest that I stay close to a bathroom!) I also started having pain in my hands (left hand specifically) similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. Initially, I thought it might be just a coincidence that I developed this pain while taking Crestor, because it wasn't listed as a side effect in the literature but really, there was no other reason for such a symptom. I also felt that my muscles were weaker -- I'm usually "strong like bull" -- a real NYC girl who is used to shlepping shopping bags everywhere... but I started to find that I could barely walk a few blocks carrying stuff. Even my yoga mat because "too heavy" and fuggedabout "Down Dog!" I could barely support my body on my arms!

After a couple of weeks, I spoke to my MD and he said to stop taking the med, see if the symptoms went away, and if so, to wait another week or so, cut the pills in half (5mg to 2.5) and try again. I did, but after a week, all the same side effects came back so I stopped taking it. The hand is almost back to normal and it seems my muscle strength is mostly back, but uh, how shall I put this delicately? "Good thing I had a plunger handy."

I think I'll take my chances with borderline high cholesterol.
|

replied August 20th, 2011
I have been on Crestor for several years now and have just undergone surgery on my left hand for what the doctor called 'trigger finger". It is now affecting the right hand and if I don't do something, I'll have to have surgery on that hand as well. X-rays showed I have no arthritis at all in my hands. Trigger Finger is similar to carpel tunnel syndrome, but at the base of the fingers. It causes the finger to 'snap' back into position and really hurts. I have an appointment at the end of the month and I'm going to talk to my doctor about going off the Crestor. I've also noticed that I get cramps in my feet and toes, memory loss and I'm losing my hair. Yep, I'm definitely going off the Crestor for a while. I'll let you know.
|

replied February 28th, 2012
Crestor poisoning
I was prescribed this drug , crestor 5mg, almost immediately I felt unhealthy. I immediately stopped taking it and feel normal again. I read through quite a few posts on this site and was horrified to see the suffering that you people are suffering from a drug that is supposed to be safe. I cannot thank you all enough for sharing this information, think I will down to the clinic and punch my doctor in the mouth.
|

replied June 15th, 2012
Crestor side effects
I had most of the same symptoms. The worst were pain in back, legs, and joints; extreme fatigue; cognitive problemsforgetting appointments, fuzzy thinking, etc. I went from 10 mg. Crestor daily to no Crestor. The symptoms went away. Then I resumed Crestor 10 mg. weekly. After two weeks the symptoms returned and intensified after three. I stopped three days ago and the symptoms are slowly going away. I've taken one statin or another since 2005 and I've had problems with all of them. The effects seemed to be cumulativeno problems in the beginning but increasing problems regardless of which statin I was taking. Crestor was the worst.
|

replied August 7th, 2014
How long did it take for you to start and feel better.I have been on crestor and ezetrol for 3 years now and stopped taking them 10 days ago but have not noticed much improvment yet. Cheers Ferg
|

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2009
Supporter
im taking lipitor and i went to the hospital for knee and leg pain. i researched lipitor's website and it state serious side effects is muscle pain with out any reason, could cause liver failure.
now i m scared to take this drug anymore.
|

replied September 15th, 2009
My father underwent Angioplasty last september and was prescribed Crestor among other medications.

God knows whether the terrible hives (urticaria)he had thereafter was due to crestor or some other medication but the Doc finally did change Crestor to something else (I don't remember)
|

replied January 22nd, 2013
Experienced User
I have side effect to all type pills and they are not safe, my cholestrol was 240 and I use natural remedy such as Yeast red rise or see Naturopathic doctor they can help you. My cholestrol is down to 180.
|

replied October 14th, 2009
Am taking (4 days) 5mg Crestor 1 daily. I was told to cut the 10mg tablet and take 1/2. This is a coated tablet and have been told to not cut a coated tablet. Should I take the whole tablet every other day or continue to use the 1/2 tablet?
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2009
Supporter
i decided to stop taking lipitor and my high blood pressure meds. and i m taking omega 3 fatty acids. my blood pressure is normal but im suppose to see if my cholesterol is normal while take the omega 3.

i was so scared to get off my medication because i thought that i could have a stroke or something. but every time i go to the doctors my pressure is normal.
try herbs and fish oil.
|

replied December 31st, 2009
All Statins are POISON..Cholesterol is in nearly all cells...
All Statins are riddled with potentially very deadly side effects. Dr. Graveline was a practicing family physician and former NASA flight surgeon, who suffered from Transient Global Amnesia as a result of Lipitor (all Statins work on the Mevolonate pathway of cellular metabolism, therefor all statins have to potential for similar problems. I was a 34 year old, critical care RN, of 12 years active practice, when I fell gravely ill, hospitalized for 30 days at the University of WI. Dx: Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy with Lactic Acidosis and Stroke-Like episodes (its as fun to have as it is to say). Brain Biopsy revealed multiple holes (neuronal Apoptosis) or Brain Cell death, as a result of blocking the production of Ubiquinol (CoQ10) an absolutely vital substance in nearly every cell of the human body. In Blocking cholesterol production, Ubiquinol is also blocked. Stay away from statins at all costs! Load up on antioxidants (berries, Green Veggies), Vitamins C,E, and Folic Acid. Refuse a cholesterol testing, and ask for a CRP, which shows how much inflammation is going on in your body. Andioxidants are a fantastic way to lower inflammation.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
ALL STATINS ARE POISON and have very nasty side effects. Whelcol 3 pills in, gout pain started, 5 and I could barely walk, was supposed to work way up to 6 of the horse pills per day, stopped them and issues went away. I was promised this drug would NOT affect my Fibromyalgia, well when your side effect riddled drug attacks my joints it impacts the FM. They have my hubby on 80 mg of this crap a day, and he is complaining big time about muscle issues, tiredness, memory issues, etc. And if you think it is only statins look up the anti Seizure drug Lyrica 50% failure rate due to side effects...just as NASTY, gabapentin is in the same family, and for my family both drugs are batting 100% failure rate. Don't just look at the makers web sites, go back a good 10 pages and you will find people on forums like this who are having even worse side effects from these drugs that should never have been approved in the first place. Some senator got his palm greased, and leaned on the FDA to get it through. And they are always the high $ co-pays. Don't forget the Vit D for inflammation..and have your thyroid tested, it is the Master gland of the body, effects every cell, gland & nerve. Border line make them treat you. Not enough and joint and muscle pain knocks on your door.
|

replied April 6th, 2012
|

replied April 6th, 2012
Here is some more insight into statins.

And how much is to much? 80mg of Crestor sounds like OD to me.
|

replied October 27th, 2012
Crestor and side effects
what is a CRP?
|

replied March 4th, 2014
I am new to this forum and advocate the importance of people understanding that inflammation is the main problem in today's health, not cholesterol. The information you have posted above is the best piece of advice I have read thus far. I am horified by the ailments that so many people have as a result of statin therapy. I totally concur, a CRP - C-Reactive Protein Test is what people should be having, not cholesterol tests.
|

replied April 28th, 2010
I take Crestor 20 mg for 5 months now and I have so much pain in my legs + I feel constantly tired.. I did my own research on Crestor and I realised that these symptoms might actually be only the beginning. the list is really long and horrific! im thinking of stopping it really at some point, I dont see how my life improves if I cant walk to take my kid from school. I also did some research on other options I may have and found great info out there that the doctors are not telling us ever.

Hope this helps
|

replied July 21st, 2011
I too am taking 20mg Crestor. I feel tired often, losing muscle strength and getting forgetful. I am in early 50s...
How does this compare to generic simvastatin?
|

replied September 23rd, 2011
I have been taking crestor off and on for a couple years, I find that when i up my dose to 20 mg. the side effects get worse. Not that 10 mg. is any better. I have stopped taking crestor because it causes terrible abdominal bloating,but then the doc. makes me feel terrible so i get back on it. Lately, however since i've been taking the 20 mg. regularly, I'm noticing severe side effects, one of which is hives and rash on my face. Have you experienced any rash ?
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
I have been getting red , itchy blotches around my neck,face, shoulders,upper back, hands, and legs(hives?) at various times while taking 10mg a day.When that happened I suspected Crestor and stopped the dosage, they went away. I also have joint pain in my right arm and elbow. Even when I took 10mg every other day I still get the problems. I will see my doctor to get this changed. I would like to try a natural remedy to keep my cholesterol low.
|

replied July 21st, 2011
I too am taking 20mg Crestor. I feel tired often, losing muscle strength and getting forgetful. I am in early 50s...
How does this compare to generic simvastatin?
|

replied April 28th, 2010
Lipitor versus Crestor....how about NO STATIN...
All I can say in response to ANY statin, is Stop taking them None of them have demonstrated any beneficial effect on Atherosclerosis or Stroke. It is a numbers game, they hire the best statisticians to play with the numbers, to make them look beneficial. As well as hiring "ghostwriters" so called experts to write a "study" and have that "study" say what they want it to say..
I was a Critical Care RN for 13 years when I became permanently disabled by Lipitor..you know the "Savior" drug, as an RN, I knew everything there was to know about that drug, or so I thought....I did not know it would cause Neuronal Apoptosis (Brain Cell Death), nor did I know it would cause a Mitochondrial DNA Mutation known as MELAS (Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy with Lactic Acidosis and Stroke-Like Episodes ...Yeah, its as much fun to have as it is to say...stay away from these killers...they do nothing for heart disease, and if any doctor tells you diffenently, ask where is the proof? Certainly not in the Clinical Studies..
Take a high quality multivitamin, eat natural unprocessed foods, Consume anti-oxidant rich foods such as Cherry, blackberry, strawberry, raspberry, crowberry, blueberry, bilberry/wild blueberry, black currant), pomegranate, grape, orange, plum, pineapple, kiwi fruit, grapefruit,Kale, chili pepper, red cabbage, peppers, parsley, artichoke, Brussels sprouts, spinach, lemon, ginger, red beet, Apricots, prunes, dates, Pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, ground nut, sunflower seeds
Anything not made by man/machine
|
Users who thank crandreww for this post: elroum 

replied June 26th, 2010
In Febuary 2010, I had angioplasm and blockage removal, a stint was inbeded. The doctors prescriped plavix 75mg(which must be taken for a year),low dose aspirin 81mg,apo-metoprolol 25mg(twice daily),apo-ramipril 5mg and crestor 10mg. I developed leg and joint pain so severe that it limited me in walking. I feared to brush against anything as large dark bruises would form, I suffered from fatigue. I researched the internet for anything which would cause these reactions, you guessed it....crestor appeared to be the culprit. It has been one week since I, without the doctor's knowledge or consent, stopped taking the crestor. I'm starting to feel great, my bp shows a slight elevation...135/83...but I will never return to a statin again. Beware of this drug. I should note that I am a 65 year old male.
|

replied July 11th, 2010
update,
....well it's been a little over 3 weeks since I took myself off Crestor. My bp averages about 118/74 with a pulse of 68. No more pain in legs or joints, I can now walk alot better and I actually feel stronger each day, there are no bruises on legs or arms. I'm regaining my former self and am estatic. I will return in a month or so and give a further update.
|

replied July 15th, 2010
Experienced User
stickman45,

Congratulations on going statin free. Its good to see that you are regaining your health back.
|

replied July 31st, 2010
I was put on Lipitor 40mg after having high cholesterol (UK 7). After three weeks,it was unbearble...pain in pectoral muscles and under arm.Also,memory loss...unable to remember the name of supermarket 200 metres from my house. I cut down to 20mg,after cholesterol test showed my level was at 4.

Pain didnt go away,so I stopped the statin.

Then had angioplasty...5 stents...and was given Crestor 10mg. Pain as before,memory problem resumed. So,I stopped again,2 weeks ago.

Cholesterol level had risen from 4 to 6 in the 2 months I was statin free.

Doctor suggests EOD (every other day)regime. Apparently,80% of people who cannot tolerate a daily statin can tolerate it EOD.He also suggested I break it in half,which would be 2.5mg/day....one quarter of the original plan.

The pain hasnt gone in 2 weeks. I'm now going on holiday,so wont take it the next two either,but then will try the half tablet EOD.

I was told it takes between 2 and 4 weeks for statin side effects to go away after discontinuing the drug.

The doctor also said that if the pain goes away,then restart the statin use. If the side effects return,then you know for sure the statin is responsible for the pain.

He also said that not taking statins for a few weeks wouldnt be fatal.
|

replied August 2nd, 2010
I was taking 5 mg and now taking 10 mg and noticed the following side effects: constipation and worst of all breaking out in hives on both sides of the cheeks and neck area. I have had these hives for the last 10 months and had no idea where the hives were coming from until I started researching the side effects of Crestor. What was worse was my my right side of my upper lips swelled up as though I had an allergic reaction to something.
|

replied August 5th, 2010
Today I sat down at one of those BP booths you normaly find in drug stores. My readings were 116/64 with a pulse of 74. I'm still off crestor without my doctors knowledge or consent. I feel great, now to be perfectly honest, I do not know what my cholesterol count is at the present time, I only get these numbers following my yearly medical.....with my latest BP results and the painfree movement I now enjoy, I really don't give a hoot if the count went up. What I can state is on the 18 May 2010, I had a total count of 3.46, broken down as follows...tri - 0.65,HDL 1.28,LDL 1.88 and TC/HDL-C-Ratio 2.7. I believe that crestor is an effective drug to combat cholesterol. I don't think it is for everyone,it has severe side effects. Next spring I'll report back. Good luck to all.
|

replied November 16th, 2010
Crestor Side Effects
I am 62 yrs old and have been taking 20 mg of Crestor for about 14 months. Two months after I started taking it, I experienced lower back pain in the kidney area. It was worse when I laid down. Four months from the initial dose, I ended up in emergency for what they suspected were kidney stones. A CT showed no kidney stones. I also ended up in another ER because of total constipation/compaction. I have been to my doctor complaining that something is wrong inside...bloating, abdominal pains, fatigue, dizziness..etc. Neither I or my doctor ever considered that Crestor could be the culprit. After I started reading the comments on this forum, I am pretty sure I am going off this drug right after my doctor's appointment later this week. Thank you all for you comments!
Tired of being sick & tired!
PappyJ
|

replied November 17th, 2010
Any doctor who prescribes any statin drug is, at the very best, ignorant to the dangers and the ineffectiveness of the drug to reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke and at the very worst, knows the dangers and ineffectiveness but takes the money from Pharma anyways.
|
Tags: Cholesterol
Quick Reply