Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Creatinine and kidney failure

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
My Serum Creatinine level is 4.4 as the normal value is 0.8 to 1.3 is it harmfull for me. which kind of diet should i follow. by taking drinking much water is there any problem. i am having alergy of cold since 6 months. what is the way to reduce Creatinine level and get away from cold ?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2008
Kidney Conditions Answer A4102
Increased creatinine usually indicates kidney failure. Creatinine is normally raised in people with big muscle mass (body builders, for example) but not that much like in your case.

A more accurate parameter than creatinine serum level is “creatinine clearance” that is calculated from creatinine level, age, sex and weight. According to your age, sex, weight and serum creatinine level your estimated creatinine clearance is 24 ml/min which is too low and suggests kidney failure. It should be above 55 ml/min.

Creatinine by itself is not harmful for you but indicates that kidneys are not working properly (kidney failure). You can’t directly decrease the creatinine level with diet. Diet is necessary in case of chronic kidney failure to help in regulating the normal Calcium blood level (by avoiding milk products), fats blood level (by preferring unsaturated fats) and to keep electrolyte balance (by drinking 2-3 liters water per day and salt restriction with less than 5g per day).

It is likely that you are also experiencing anemia due to chronic kidney disease. Kidneys produce a hormone called erythropoietin that stimulates the bone marrow to produce erythrocytes.
Infections are more common and severe in patients with chronic kidney failure. You should avoid NSAID as much as possible because they can affect the kidneys that are already damaged.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.