Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

Cramping and nausea of unknown origin

Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
Hello,

I'm currently working overseas (South Western China since February) and have been sick off and on for the past month. Usually I'm quite healthy, and have been very careful in terms of what I eat, not drinking water that hasn't been boiled (a concern in my area) and cleanliness.

My symptoms are pain and cramping in my mid section (from the bottom of my rib-cage and sternum to a bit below the top of my pelvis). I have repeated bouts of nausea, sometimes with actual vomiting, and the need to go which isn't always productive but is occasionally interrupted with diarrhea. I don't have a fever, but have gas. The symptoms seems worse at night, when I am lying down, or occasionally after I eat. I don't have much of an appetite, and the symptoms seem to come and go every couple of days. It also interferes with my sleep.

As I said, I am usually healthy, and have taken care to remain so. However, I am becoming more than a little nervous. I have seen local doctors and they usually prescribe amoxicillin and Nimodipine. My diet is bland, and I leave for home in Mid July. Is this serious, and does anyone have any idea what it is?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2008
Doctor
It sounds like mild intestinal infection but need copro-culture to prove it. It could be also some stomach disorder (gastritis, dyspepsia etc.).
Have you ever had digestive problems before this one?
|

replied June 27th, 2008
Occasionally, but never this severe or for this long a period of time.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2008
Doctor
Can you make Helicobacter pilory serology in the area where you live?
If positive you can try triple therapy for eradication of the bacteria.
|