Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Crackling sounds during breathing

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
I apologize if this is not the right forum. Starting approximately two months ago I developed a crackling sound during breathing. The sound is not noticeable when I am upright. It is most pronounced when I am laying down on my right side, much less noticeable when I am on my back, and practically non-existent when I lay on my stomach. If I breath in deeply or quickly the sound is not noticeable. It is only during normal or shallow breathing. At the end of the exhale I can also hear a wheeze or whistling sound. Also the crackling feels as though it is coming from somewhere between my throat and my lungs. There is also a bubbling sensation associated with the sound that feels like it is coming from below my throat somewhere.

I saw my doctor and he checked my lungs and they sounded clear to him. As a precaution he proscribed a 5 day course of antibiotics and also a nasal form of allergy medicine. Neither helped. I finished the AB's and gave the nasal spray a month before I scheduled a follow-up appointment. I described the same thing to him as above. He listened to my chest again, it sounded clear again. To allay my concerns he had me do a chest xray which also came up clear.

I am still hearing the crackling sound when I breathe as I lay down. It gets loud enough that it can wake me up. I feel good otherwise. No shortness of breath and I can breathe in very deeply. I do have a history of pneumonia and bronchitis. I have not had pneumonia for many years (over 30). I get bronchitis just about every time I get a cold or flu.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Momba53
|

replied January 12th, 2013
Crackling lungs reply
I am having the exact same symptoms. I have had a cold that turned into bronchitis and a sinus infection just this week. My lungs are clear to the Dr. I have a continuous cough though and the crackle comes usually after a serious coughing episode. I do have asthma. My inhaler and cough medicines together usually quell the crackles but not always. As I write this, lying down on my back propped slightly, I hear it quite well. My thought was that it sounds like you have a pump bottle of liquid soap that is almost empty. If you continue to pump the handle or mix the soap with a little water and get bubbles or air in the line up the tube, it sound like this. Bizarre analogy, but I feel like that's what is happening in my lungs- small amount of liquid forming air bubbles...
|

replied February 13th, 2013
I can tell this sound comes from my throat. Just near my collarbone somewhere. I have a consult with an ENT. I don't want to go yet as I'm still just getting over the flu. I don't want any other symptoms present when I see the ENT otherwise he'll just chalk it up to the flu. This has been happening since long before I caught the flu.

I'll post back what his findings are. I have seen so many people report these symptoms but no answers on what the cause was.
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2013
I have exactly the same symptoms and couldn't describe them any better than the previous postings. This has been noticeable for the past two months or more and at first I put it down to a mild chest infection, but had no illness to connect it to.
Finally I visited my GP yesterday, feeling slightly silly describing "bubbles", "crackling" and "popping" noises! When sitting up she could hear nothing (neither can I), but as soon as I laid down on the bed, she heard the crackling distinctively without the use of the stethoscope. She listened to my lungs and URT and identified exactly what I was conscious of - that the crackling is more obvious on my left side compared to the right.
She has prescribed a week of AB's (to eliminate any chance of a residual infection) then I see her in one week's time and if no improvement then I will have a chest x-ray. She did question me about smoking, which I gave up entirely 25 years ago - I am 62.
|

replied January 26th, 2014
Thx for your post... I thought I was alone with the noise... Have you had any luck in getting any answers?
|

replied April 23rd, 2013
I met with the ENT. He stuck mirrors in my throat and looked down to see if he could spot anything. Everything looks fine. He could see all the way past my vocal cords into the upper bronchial area and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Of course he didn't see the point in my laying down when he did this and refused to take a look! I'm going to go back to my doc for take two I guess.

Did your AB's help at all?
|

replied October 2nd, 2013
I Have the exact same Symptoms. Did your doc figure out anything?
|

replied June 1st, 2013
Crackling (like pop rocks) in my throat
It's been interesting reading about this issue in different forums. I am 52 and have had this "crackling" issue in my throat every night when I lay down for about 2 years now. It will also, occasionally, appear when in a slouched position (e.g., kicked back on the couch). I am in good health, do not smoke (never have), not overweight, do not have allergies or any chronic issues. I do, however, have GERD, which my doctor believes is a contributing factor. My experience to date is that it is definitely an annoyance, but not a major concern.
|

replied July 26th, 2013
yes this is asthma, and the same symptoms had to my father and my father always used to be warm then on. I suggest to go for yoga daily mainly pranayam and mahapranayam. my father did this for nearly 9-10 yrs and still contuining. he is now free from the sounds and sleeps fine at night. this is the only best remedy. my boss tried every thing tablets and a fish they drop in ur mouth alive. many things. consult for a yoga kendra.
|

replied January 26th, 2014
crackling in throat
OMG!!! I was beginning to think I was a freak... I have the same exact symptoms... I am losing my mind because I can't sleep without the noise becoming worse. My husband has had to leave the room at night because he can't take the noise. He says it sounds like an alien is living inside me...what..doctors plz help us!!!!
|

replied March 7th, 2014
I had the same thing and it turned out to be sarcoidosis. It is in remission now but think I may have candida in my lungs from so much prednisone and antibiotics.
|

replied March 7th, 2014
my friends my friends! I hope my recent diagnosis with the same problems are of help to you I can't tell you how much better I feel and I finally can sleep with no noise. I've gone to a Pulmonologist and we've been diagnosed it as Paradoxal vocal cord dysfunction so please check into it I feel great.this disorder will always be misdiagnosed as asthma
|

replied March 19th, 2014
Breathing Crackles when laying down
Wow...I've been to my doctor twice about this exact same thing. I've had the chest x-ray, labs and everything has come back normal, yet the crackles persist, however, only in the morning when waking. I'll be checking into the Paradoxal vocal cord dysfunction. It sounds the most feasible since I've had no illnesses to speak of for a long time.
|

replied April 5th, 2014
pop rocks or rice crispies crackling in my Bronchus (wind pipe).
I have the exact thing. It is more prominent when I am laying down. It sounds like there are rice crispies or pop rocks in my wind pipe making a crackling sound. The sound echoes out of my throat when I breathe. I don't hear it when I hold my breath. Sometimes there is a slight wheezing sound. I can even feel the sensation of the popping in my chest now. I have been to the doctor twice this week and he did not hear it the first time. The second time he said he could hear something. Just lately several people I know have come down with cold like symptoms, then bronchitis sets in. I live in Southern Illinois. A coworker of mine has it and says her husband sounds like he has a little person yelling in his throat. Friday the 28th I was sneezing, Saturday I was coughing and congested and worn out, Sunday and Monday was worse, Tuesday started pennicillin, Wednesday I got a little better, Thursday went to work but still felt beat down, Friday felt better but back to the doctor because the pop rocks had started in my throat on Tuesday and my daughter came down with the cold on Friday. The doctor sent me to the hospital to get an injection. This is Saturday the fifth and I still have the pop rocks. I would like to know what it is.
|

replied April 13th, 2014
crackling/wheezing/pop rocks/after2 weeks, 3 ABs, and pneumonia
I had pneumonia when I went to the ER on Sunday March 30th. I got an AB I took for 7 days along with some other stuff. I went back on Monday the 7th and they said I still had pneumonia and the first AB did not get rid of it. they gave me two more different ABs that I took for 5 days. went back thursday the 10 and they had me get another x-ray where I found out friday they said it looked like it might be getting better. but I came home that friday and had the diarrhea 12 times in about 15 hours. I have been coughing to the point my eye sockets hurt, the right side of my rib cage hurts real bad, and I hear the wheezing/crackling sound deep in my throat feeling like it is in my chest. my stomach has been hurting every now and then with pain that doubles me over. I hope I am not dieing but I feel almost like it when I start the cough and my chest really hurts. I haven't had any change to my voice but I have been talking more quiet so as not to make me cough again. when I breath shallow I cough less.
if there is someone who knows what this is it stinks and I wish it was better.
sounds like my difference from the others is that I am having the symptoms about 2 weeks after getting pneumonia.
|

replied May 27th, 2014
How did things work out for you? Any recommendations as I am currently experiencing your identical situation. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
|

replied May 9th, 2014
I have the same problem, but my Dr. was able to hear the wheezing. She doesn't know what is causing it though. I just want to find out. I cough so bad that I vomit.
|