Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

CPS - Harmful or helpful?

Okay, since the mods all had their panties in a wad over a site I referenced, I'm attempting to post this again in a manner that won't make them whine at me. So let's try this again.

I think most of us are familiar with what Child Protective Services is, but my question is whether or not CPS' intentions are all good. I realize CPS pulls children out of dangerous or abusive homes, but I have read hundreds of accounts of children who were allegedly wrongly taken from their homes, or taken from homes because of false accusations or with no reason.

There is a whole website dedicated to people who are currently fighting CPS because they say their children got taken when no abuse was going on. I can't link directly to it, but if you go to this address and click on the first result, you will be able to access the archive that the mods found to be sacreligious:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fight cps&btnG=Google+Search

The stories of the wrongly punished people are in the Guestbook section. I realize that a lot of these stories are probably construed in a way to make it seem like the parents are totally innocent and that CPS is the big bad evil force set out solely to ruin families, but I can't imagine they are all warped like that. By the way, the stories are listed in the Guestbook section of that site.

What do you think? Does CPS do more harm than good? Do you think social workers really only help children, or do some of them abuse their power? Discuss.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
I honestly don't have much experience with it, but most if the time I hear of opposite cases, where CPS won't come even though abuse is obvious because CPS doesn't want to break up families.
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Social workers have to abide by state, federal, and local laws and their agency guidelines. So, the correct question to ask is, "are the laws in place sufficient or do they need changed"?

You wouldn't blame the police force if you didn't like a law, for example.

That being said, I am sure that people abuse their power. But if that abuse means questionable motivation in removing kids (what could the motivation be???) then those social workers are breaking their ethics and need removed from their positions, hands down.

Currently the laws favor a "remove kids first, ask questions later or you'll get the pants sued off of you" approach. Child's physical safety being priority numero uno.

Social workers are taught the distructive forces that come into play when children are removed. It's hammered in. It is not taken lightly. Again, if there are other motivations, then those individuals need removed from their positions.

You are not going to hear about the cases where CPS did their jobs, because of the nature of the situation.
|

replied May 5th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I think the laws need to be changed so that parents can discipline their children without having them taken away, and children that are actually getting beaten to a bloody pulp every day are rescued. The way it is now, they won't do anything to help children that are actually being abused or neglected until it's too late but they'll rush to grab a kid away from a parent that gives him a well-deserved swat on the butt for being a brat.

This is how it currently is in my neck of the woods, at least.
|