Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Could this be Sleep Paralysis?

Sleep Paralysis?

I recently had an experience where I felt as though I was trapped inside my sleeping body. My mind was fully awake and alert and I THINK I was able to open my eyes. I was aware that I was lying in my bed and lying on my front, facing the wall (which I was) and I was trying to move to check the time but I couldn't seem to. I tried to throw myself off the bed or something to wake myself up but I literally couldn't move. I felt trapped and anxious and when I heard a sound I suddenly snapped out of it, my heart was racing and I felt dizzy and confused. I (stupidly) lay back down, this was probably around 5:45AM, and it happened again. But this time, I felt as though I was having a seizure. It was almost as if my mind knew that my body was fitting, but I couldn't seem to voluntarily move my body. I finally stopped seizing, but still couldn't move for a while until my alarm went off at 6:15AM.

Could this be sleep paralysis?

I am on preventitive / control medication for chronic daily migraine (nortriptyline) and had taken a migraine med (sumatriptan) at about 2:00AM as I woke up feeling awful. I have thought that maybe the sleep paralysis experience may be a side effect, but I have taken this combination of tablets (and tried other tablets) for about 9 or 10 months now and thought I'd learnt to tolerate them...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
This definitely sounds like sleep paralysis. Your symptoms mirror the ones I have experienced. Like you, I felt like my eyes were wide open and I was also staring straight up at the wall. Here's my experience with it:

I'm always on my back when it occurs
It happens 1-2 times a week, usually in the middle of the night
I experience up to a minute of pure terror because I cannot move, I cannot breathe, and I have no control but yet feel fully awake, aware, and conscious
I can feel it coming on, as in I'll be asleep and I suddenly feel this intense pressure like I can't breathe and some how am woken up by that sensation, which is when the sleep paralysis episode takes place
Because I experience it on a semi-regular basis, I've almost become scared or nervous about falling asleep, which seems to actually trigger it or spur more of these episodes

I go to sleep every night between 10-11:30 p.m. excluding the occasional late night on weekends. I get up around the same time every day, between 8 and 10 a.m. I do drink a couple times a month while out with friends, and wonder if even just the consumption of alcohol a few times a month has been a contributing factor to my sleep paralysis. I'm 28 years old, and I hadn't ever experienced this until about a year or two ago, and now I have it on a regular basis.

What I do to relieve the anxiety is that I just simply wait it out/endure the episode. I mean, what else can you really do? You feel completely paralyzed. I guess I just have this innate fear that the episode will not pass and my temporary paralysis will become permanent. I think if I had to describe how it feels, I would say that it feels like you're dying (if I can even make such a claim, as I'm obviously alive). The feeling passes, but if I had to take a guess at what dying is like or what is to be expected, I would immediately think that'd it feel similar to sleep paralysis.
|
Users who thank NovemberGirlll for this post: just_sleep_dude 

replied October 22nd, 2011
I have had this same problem since I was 5 I had to learn how to make all my muscles jump at once its very scary thought I was in a coma
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
I have had this same problem since I was 5 I had to learn how to make all my muscles jump at once its very scary thought I was in a coma
|

replied November 29th, 2011
this happened to me too, i couldn't wake up from my dream. I heard a phone ring and I tried hard to wake up and get it. I tried so hard to get up, I felt my eyes fluttering back and forth in my head I tried to pull my head up (in my dream) but something was pushing me back down, and finally when I woke up at 3:45am I jumped up so fast and caught my breathe? never happened before to me
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2011
Hey Purple Sky!

Really sorry to hear about this, it does sound exactly like sleep paralysis. I know exactly how you feel, it's a petrifying experience isn't it. Did you get the hallucinations with it, or have you experienced them since? I hope you don't get these.

Take care!
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2011
I'm going through the same thing! its really scary.

- i can usually tell when it comes
- My eyes are always closed. im always on my back
- it lasts about a minute or so
- any noise will snap me out of it. (instantly) thank goodness!!!!
-i'm usually very exhausted when this occurs.
- during paralysis i do feel like sleeping through it, but the fear of going in a coma has me frightened. i try everything in my power to snap out of it.
- it happens at least once a month for me. (sometimes i can go months without it)
- praying calms me while im trying to snap out
- HAVING a consistent sleep schedule has helped me out tremendously
|

replied December 11th, 2011
I've also suffer from this thing and god! Its really scary! I just started to experience sleep paralysis this early months of this year and until now, it seems that it become worse! I thought before that it was just part of any hallucinations happened over my dream, so I just ignore it, it took several times before I completely realized that it wasn't longer normal. I can't move even I want to, I can't breath, it feels like something is pushing me deeply down on my bed, I want to scream out so people around me wake me up hastily but nothing happens. I just ended up with sleep and wake up in the next day normally, as if nothing happened last night. I've also experienced this one afternoon and that was actually strange coz' it usually happen to me during middle of the night only and getting this in an afternoon and in just a nap is absolutely strange. I just wishing that it'll never happen again to me, that's why always pray before I sleep coz' it really scared me.
|

replied December 11th, 2011
I've also suffer from this thing and god! Its really scary! I just started to experience sleep paralysis this early months of this year and until now, it seems that it become worse! I thought before that it was just part of any hallucinations happened over my dream, so I just ignore it, it took several times before I completely realized that it wasn't longer normal. I can't move even I want to, I can't breath, it feels like something is pushing me deeply down on my bed, I want to scream out so people around me wake me up hastily but nothing happens. I just ended up with sleep and wake up in the next day normally, as if nothing happened last night. I've also experienced this one afternoon and that was actually strange coz' it usually happen to me during middle of the night only and getting this in an afternoon and in just a nap is absolutely strange. I just wishing that it'll never happen again to me, that's why always pray before I sleep coz' it really scared me.
|