Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Poisoning and Environmental Health Forum

Could Oxygen help CO poisoning ?

I was poisoned for approximately 4 weeks with 50ppm CO when my roof leaked and my HW heater fell through the floor slightly, leaving the exhaust pipe broken. I was hospitalized when I passed out and shattered my arm and leg in a fall. This happened 3/24/2010. I have severe symptoms of long-term CO poisoning, including racing heart, uneven heartbeat, sleeplessness, anxiety, shortness of breath, sleep apnea, cognitive impairment, aphasia, joint pain, dizziness/vertigo/balance problems, weakness, headaches, muscle spasms, numbness, and memory loss.

A few weeks ago I was not breathing well and had an oxygen tank that still had oxygen in it from after my pericardial tamponade window surgery (May/2010). (I think this was due to CO poisoning too). When I used the oxygen at 1.5 for a night, I actually fell asleep and woke refreshed for the fist time in over 5 months. My question is, would oxygen therapy help me even though it is five + months later?

Also, I need a doctor who is familiar with CO poisoning and does not fight me every step of the way. I live in Southern New Mexico--any suggestions?

I suspect Neurology is the appropriate doctor specialty, since the cardiologists in town do not seem to know anything about CO poisoning and heart problems. They do not seem to want to find out either. I am disgusted with them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 23rd, 2010
Co intox and delayed seaquels
Hi there, I had the same experience. and I had hyperbaric therapy. Try it. Even 4 years after having undergone a CO poisoning. I had hyperbaric therapy and it saves me against a life...
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 10th, 2011
CO Poisoning
I had hyperbaric therapy one time (immediately after being poisoned) and after researching I would like to try another session as I had extensive poisoning. I cannot find a doctor who is interested in even helping me - they all say nothing else can be done and I will have to live with whatever happens in the future. Would you give me the name of your doctor.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 25th, 2012
Oxygen Concentrators
Oxygen Concentrators provide a useful alternative to hyper baric oxygen because they are based on the model of what our bodies already breathe naturally- a mix of oxygen and normal air. Check out www.carbonmonoxidesurvivors.org

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Carbon_mono xide_poisoning_and_multi-sensitivity_-_a_p ossible_explanation_for_hypersensitivity_s ymptoms
|
Did you find this post helpful?