Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

could having a large gallstone be causing me problems?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
can anyone tell me if having a large gallstone could be causing me problems. Approx 6 years ago i had a scan and it revealed i had a very large gallstone in my gall bladder. For the past year i have suffered with abdominal pain, stomach acid with indigestion and ibs symptoms. My doctors diagnosed a stomach ulcer and gave me ranitidine. I asked my doctor if it could have anything to do with my gallstone and he just shrugged off my question. Even with the ranitidine i still have excess acid and i get pain on my right upper side under my rib which goes through to my back. Ive had a blood test for helibactor and it was negative, ive had blood tests on my liver and kidneys and they came back satisfactory.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fabforforty
|

replied November 9th, 2011
Why don't you ask for an abdominal ultrasound to see what's going on with your gallbladder [and other organs]
6 years is a long time to not have the scan repeated. If your DR doesn't agree ask for a different DR.
Good luck
|

replied November 9th, 2011
Experienced User
Your symptoms are not directly caused by a large gallstone. Gallstones cause a very specific type of intense pain. Other gallbladder disease, which is less common, has a wider range of symptoms which might possibly be similar to yours.

Very large gallstones are considered to be a high risk of attacks and serious complications and may be taken out even when there are no symptoms. Of course there is no knowing what "large" actually was in your case.
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
large gallstone
hi fabforforty, I found your posting so interesting. I have one gallstone (large, golf ball size) found during an MRI. My syptoms and story are like yours. I was treated for h. pylori and did not feel better. They did an endoscopy and I do not have an ulcer and the h. pylori is gone, but I continue with the acid and pain in the right just under ribcage. I have an appointment with a surgeon early in Dec. I hope they decide to take out my gallbladder and that this will solve my problem. As you know it is very uncomfortable and wears you down. I have found that applying heat over the gallbladder area helps the pain enough that I can sleep. Good luck to you (and me!) Smile
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
Hi, I had a large gallstone as well but I also found out that my gallbladder was diseased. They said my gallstone wasn't really in an area or big enough to cause my problems (possible, but unlikely). So my symptoms were due to my gallbladder also being inflamed and diseased.

I would request an ultra sound, and ask for a surgeon to go over your results with you. If your Dr refuses, I'd see a new Dr.
|

replied December 2nd, 2012
Yes. It will pose a lot of problems. In will gradually increase in time. I'm sorry to hear that.

By the way, I want to introduce a new concept of surgery. Gallstones can be removed from the gall bladder. There is already a new concept in doing this.
|