Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Coughing up green phlegm

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
Hello,

Starting last Thursday, I felt my Lungs were sore, when I tried to take a deep breath I felt a little resistence in my lungs.

That ended up leading to me now, coughing up a NASTY green phlegm, before it was more brown, however the current phlegm I'm coughing up does have some brown in it. A day or two ago, the phlegm was mostly brown.

When I touch the sides of my neck, right below the ears all the way down to the midway of the neck, it is pretty sore.

I also woke-up with a minor headache on the right side of my head (my first headache ever since I've been sick), it's not frontal head pain, more of a "side" head pain, but the area around my right eye is also pretty sore.

I also have a stuffy nose, when I blow my nose it produces a very green mucous, very similar to the phlegm I cough up.

Whenever I get sick I usually get sinus infection, which lead to a really stuffy nose.

My cough is also pretty guttoral, I do feel some pain/soreness in my chest and the pain is consistent even when I cough. When I first cough I often have to exaggerate it a bit so that I can force the phlegm up and out of my mouth.

I still feel a minor soreness in my lungs as well whenever I inhale deep.

What I think caused it? Well I have three possible answers...

1. Being that it is cold, when I work out I usually forget to bring a damn sweater so when I walk out the gym it's pretty cold...but I've been through worse weathers and I never got sick, but maybe it was just this one time.

2 and 3. I'm a college student, and I don't normally prefer drinking, but I prefer to smoke marijuana instead. I do NOT smoke ciggerates, but I'm not sure if this is bronchitis because my friends, who I smoke with, have smoked A LOT longer than me and they appear to be fine. I may have actually gotten sick from sharing the water pipe (bong) with a friend who claimed to be a little sick. I don't smoke now though being that I am sick.

For the record, I have no history of asthma or any other respiratory illness or other health conditions. I'm only allergic to a certain type of medicine, and that's about it.

My main concern is whether or not this is bronchitis, hence why I put this in the respiratory forum. I think it MAY be acute, not chronic, because I don't cough consistently everyday, but I have had this similar sickness before at the end of November and beginning of December.
Did you find this post helpful?
|