Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Coughing up chuncks of Tissue in my throat

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi there I am a smoker about 2 packs a week. I developed a throat infection a couple of months back and was given antibiotics to treat it. I finished the course but the infection (in my mind) has not cleared completely.

My concern is however that every day since, i develop some kind of tissue gunk at the back of my throat. If I cough really hard it comes out in big yellowish strips/sheets usually there are two strips about the size of a paper clip and then one bigger sheet about the size of first joint of the index finger of a grown man with large hands. The bigger bits seem to have what looks like blood capilliaries attached.

It stays clear for about an hour and then starts building up again. I can cough out the same amount of this tissue every six hours or so.
First I would only be able to cough it up through my mouth but of recent days It seems that it is coming out of my nose. I also do seem to get quite a bit of Sinus pressure in the nasal cavity before I have to blow one of these chunks out and it usually alternates between nostrils.

The tissue (i call it that because I do not know what else to call it) grows rapidly over night and I usually have to wake up in the middle of the night to cough it out. Once all the bits are out I then get a bit of blood spotting that goes away with a gargle.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper John1_Suave
|

replied January 27th, 2011
Had my GP look at my throat yesterday and he has confirmed that I have a very very very ugly case of Post Nasal Drip.

He has sent off a sample to the lab for testing and prescribed a 2 week course of antibiotics.

I hope they help and not much more is needed after that.

For anyone who might have this, Oral, Dental, Facial and hand hygeine is of paramount importance.
|
Did you find this post helpful?