Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Coughed up lung tissue ?

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
I am a smoker who now smokes about a pack a week, less than I ever have. Lately on 3-4 different occasions I have coughed up some kind of tissue, each time the tissue looks the same. It's about 1/4 long has a round sac like "ball" on one end, and what appears to be a small branch coming of it, usually a little extension and a tiny branch of it. I am scared! Is this normal? Am I coughing up part of my lungs? I tried to find a photo of the tissue with no luck... any words of wisdom, besides quit smoking? (I know!!!)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bluzrooster
|

replied October 20th, 2009
If you are smoking less than now than ever- terrific.
Your lung tissues could be trying to heal themselves during this period. This may explain the couphing up of dead or dying tissues.
I also used to smoke about 17 years ago. Even now, on infrequent occasions I still cough up some small tissue peices. Supposedly my lungs would've completely healed and repaired themsleves by now, but sometimes the damage is irreparable. Either way, I am so glad I quit! Good wishes to you.
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
I'm 13 years old, I have been getting lots of headaches, lost about 10 pounds and a few times a week coughing up tisue. But I have never really seen it before. Like this may sound gross but when I feel it comming up ( feels like tisue ) I just swoalee it.
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
I am 13, a girl and I have been getting lots of headache, use to get really dizze and blurryness in my eyes. Not too mention i still get dizze but my eyes havn't been bugging me for about a few months now. Also, I have lost 10 pounds not even trying to or worry about it. I have also been throwing up some kind of tisue and I don't know what it is. Can somebody else me ?!?!
|