Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Costochondritis

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
So I was having some difficulty breathing and went to the doctor today, they took some chest xrays and some blood tests, and concluded that I have costochondritis and said it was probably caused by a viral infection and just prescribed me some anti-inflammatory drugs. But what I'm wondering right now is first off, what kind of virus causes this and where could it have come from, and just how contagious am I?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper avidswimmer
|

replied January 8th, 2010
Do you still have it? I was diagnosed with it about the same time as you...and I still have chest pain, I get lighthead/faint, and I lack my normal amount of energy.
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2010
I'm the same.
I have been diagnosed, and not 100% sure how long it takes to heal. had it since November.

Been told that it can last between 7 days and years. great!!!

I know it can be caused, from the common cold, exercise & stress and for no apparent reason.

Your not contagious

Smile
|

replied February 19th, 2010
RE
yea i noticed mine after my viral infection....

since all my blood work and testing has been negative i've been trying soft tissue therapy and chiropractic adjustments...hopefully this does the trick!
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2012
Hey guys, I was also diagnosed with costochondritis from a viral infection (came about when I was doing some heavy coughing). I've been dealing with it for 3 months now. Can any of you just give me a brief update on how you're doing and/or how long it took you to recover? I'm really freaking out here because it's not getting much better! Please and thank you Smile <3
|