Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Correct Diagnosis?

Hi,

I am 29 and, since I was about 16, I have found that if I go three hours without eating I have trouble.

Initially as I begin feeling dizzy and slightly disoriented I am aware that I need to act soon. If I don't or can't get something to eat at that point I soon become visibly very shaky and increasingly unable to concentrate. In the next phase any kind of concentration becomes very foggy, my short term memory starts failing me, I find myself unable to form full sentences and actually end up only able to say keywords with no real idea how to join them together, I become highly emotional and find myself upset for no actual reason, and also I start loosing my balance, which ranges from being unable to focus on walking in straight lines to feeling suddenly light-headed and literally dropping as if I had just shut off for an instant.

To compensate I have to keep a small supply of biscuits in my bag, but have found it embarrassing to have to snack regularly, especially at work during long morning meetings or when out around other people, and ever more so considering that I had previously not been able to give my employers a reason for my need to eat so frequently. I tried for a while to go on like everyone else but had a number of nasty accidents, falling down flights of stairs and once off a low ledge, when caught off guard by the dizzy spells (although of course I was aware at the time the other symptoms had started).

After many years of only being tested by my doctor for anemia I thought I would try a free diabetes test locally. I had to go several hours without eating beforehand but test was negative for diabetes with a 'Capillary Plasma Glucose' level of 5.4 mmol/l. Unfortunately having gone so long without eating I was in a terrible state and had to be taken to the local doctors surgery for an emergency appointment, where I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and sent to eat quickly.

I would just like to know if this sounds like hypoglycemia to anyone else and to be sure that is the correct diagnosis? Looking online 5.4 mmol/l seems to relate to 97.2 mg/dl and, although neither of these values mean anything to me, does this really fit in with the levels expected during a hypoglycemic attack or was the diabetes test measuring something quite different?

Hoping someone has the answer please Smile

Kind regards,
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
The symptoms could definitely be hypoglycemia, yes. It's hard to tell from readings unless you've had a full GTT, but even then it may not be too revealing in some people. You can always try to eat right, it's free and though you'll likely feel REALLY bad at first, it will tell you in a few months if this is the problem you have. Plus, you can't hurt yourself through eating correctly! Look for my diet on this forum. It's called Hypoglycemia Rules and Diet.
|
Users who thank Spaceknight for this post: fraggles 

replied May 23rd, 2010
Hi,

That you for your reply.

Ah so the 'Capillary Plasma Glucose' reading wouldn't dismiss the diagnosis? What does GTT stand for?

I'll check that out now, cheers!
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Glucose Tolerance Test.
|