Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Corneal abrasion and healing

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
User Profile
I suffered a corneal abrasion one week ago. My vision is still slightly blurred and lights are slightly streaked (astigmatism?). I can read and use the computer just fine, the blurring is not enough to keep me from doing that, but still noticeable. I look at a point light source, and I can see a slight streaking effect. The eye has no visible symptoms - no redness, no swelling, no puffiness, etc. It is tender and drys out easily, and I tend to keep it closed part of the time. My eye doctor (optometrist) examined me twice, put dye in the eye and used a slit lamp microscope thing. She said the eye was healing nicely, abrasions were healed over.

Is this normal to still have some discomfort and drying after a week? How long do these symptoms normally last? Do vision changes like this eventually go away? And lastly, how long should I wait before going back to my eye doctor if I'm still having discomfort or vision changes don't go away? (Or should I have seen an ophthalmologist instead?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2010
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A13585
Given the data you provided (corneal abrasion due to mechanical trauma one week ago, vision is still slightly blurred and lights are slightly streaked, eye is tender and dries out easily), you suffered a corneal abrasion that has not healed yet.

Corneal abrasion is an eye disorder in which mechanical trauma causes damage to the cornea. The part of the cornea that is affected is not smooth anymore. This causes disturbances in the refraction and the vision might be slightly changed. The eye is irritated and increased production of tears is usually present. It takes time for the cornea to heal. This takes usually up to one week, but in certain cases it might take longer to heal depending on the damage.

You might want to visit an ophthalmologist (which is preferred over an optometrist) if the vision is not improved within four weeks after the damage.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.