Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

Cord in Scrotum After Hernia Surgery

Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...
I had surgery on an inguinal hernia. After about a week I noticed a thick tube/chord running down my groin and into the left side of my scrotum behind my testicle. It doesn't seem to connect to anything, seems more like the end is pinched off. I had a cold during the recovery process so I was thinking during coughing spell something might have dislodged.

I've seen my family physician on this matter and he informed that he's not overly worried about it since it doesn't seem constricted. But during my questions about "what it is" and "will it go away" it became apparent that he had no idea what it was. Also wasn't to happy when I asked if the pain would go away and he said the only reason there is pain is because it's putting pressure on my testicles......well I DON'T| WANT pressure on my testicles.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 19th, 2011
hard lump over the right testis after hernia surgery
i had the same thing. But in my case it is on the right. I had indirect inguinal hernia and doctor told me after the operation that he cut the hernia off which looks like a bulk of fat and place mesh over. I had severe vomiting after the surgery and surely put on pressure on the repaired part.

Here it is. After 6 days, i suddenly noticed that my right scrotum is getting bigger. I tried palpating my right scrotum and felt something weird. Oh my it feels like a hard lump, as if my hernia is starting all over again. I started thinking and worrying. I palpated and tried tracing it and oh my... its like a hardened tube just above my right testicle going inside my groin.

When i tried to stand up it retracts a bit comparing to my previous hernia it bulges. Im not happy with this thing coz its really uncomfortable and it doesnt feel normal down there.

I will have my post of check up tomorrow and try writing about what the doctors will say after he sees this.

Man i love to hear more about the same case.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
I got clearance from my surgeon to go back to work(I'm a miner for the record.....bad idea) after he looked at this "cord". He told me it the body does weird things after surgery and wants to wait a bit before looking further. I said fine and he scheduled me an appointment for 6 weeks down the road. 4 days into my run at work(not sure what I did) but I felt this "cord" starting to come out in my lower abdomen a few inches left of my belly button. NOW my surgeon figures it's time for an ultra sound, so after next thursday I should hopefully have more information. He expected me to fly out of work immediately to see him, but HE's the one that sent me to work, thus ending my compensation. Had to explain to him that my families well being is more important than mine.
|

replied July 21st, 2011
right indirect inguinal hernia, lump over right testis
you got to see your doctor asap. i know how hard it is. Since i had this surgery and its complications, my life was on halt.

I just had my first post op check up today. I was so eager to tell the doctor that there is something down there that he needs to examine. As soon as he told me to put my pants down, i started telling him my concern. Well he is so confident in answering me.

me: Doc, would you mind examining my right scrotum because i feel something like lump there just above my testis and its giving my egg some pressure.

doc: what?

me: i feel like my hernia recurred.

doc: let me check it. (he counted my eggs) one egg, two eggs. you still have 2 eggs (Hello Dora)

me: yes doc, aint got no prob with the eggs but it seems my hernia recured because there is a hard, cord lump thats getting out of my groin into the sac. i am afraid that the hernia recur.

doc: (doc inspect it) oh! this is just normal. Its the external sac of the hernia, i removed the hernia sac and decided to leave this sac because it sticked on the spermatic cord. removing this this can damage your cord which can lead to infertility. try to hot compress and it should be reduce a little after awhile.

me: ok

hope this help.
|

replied March 7th, 2012
Same experience...
I just had left side inguinal hernia surgery (laproscopic with mesh) last week and I too noticed the same, hard bulge in my sac underneath the left teste. It feels funny and uncomfortable and I was very worried... went to see the surgeon today and he says that it's normal. Believe it or not, this is my third inguinal hernia repair (I've had two repairs on the right side in the past ten years and last week was the left side). But I have never experienced this symptom before. I'll post again in a week if it gets any worse...
|

replied April 9th, 2012
I am Male in my 30's.I had a Laparoscopic inguinal hernia operation the last Wednesday 04-Apr-2012. I had unbelievable pain.... And My testis where swollen. Now they got the about normal size. But... Just like you all I have wired painful swollen cords (pipes, what ever??) hanging above my left testicle... I do not know what it is ... Pain is increasing ... Called my doctor he said it seems like a normal after operation affect... I will try to get more info!
|

replied April 9th, 2012
I am Male in my 30's.I had a Laparoscopic inguinal hernia operation the last Wednesday 04-Apr-2012. I had unbelievable pain.... And My testis where swollen. Now they got the about normal size. But... Just like you all I have wired painful swollen cords (pipes, what ever??) hanging above my left testicle... I do not know what it is ... Pain is increasing ... Called my doctor he said it seems like a normal after operation affect... I will try to get more info!
|

replied February 20th, 2013
open repair on inguinal hernia.
I just had open inguinal hernia repair six days ago, everything seemed fine until I realized the lump in my scrotum was still their as it was before the surgery. I'm very nervous that maybe it's my fault from laughing or accidently coughing to hard. When I asked my surgeon if the lump would go away after surgery he assured me it would be gone. But of course, it would still be their as if nothing even changed. I'm going in for a follow up in 5 days and I'm afraid when I ask him about it he's just gonna yup me like he did before. Does anyone know why six days after open surgery my "LUMP" in my scrotum Is Still there? I had what he considered to be a small inguinal hernia on my right side. One of the main reasons for me wanting surgery was to make the lump go away. I'd really like other opinion's on the matter, the surgeon has a yeah no problem peice of cake attitude but what is routine for him is all new to me and I'd like better input on my situation.
|

replied June 15th, 2013
I believe spermatic cord lipomas (a mass of fat cells that wraps itself around the cord) are common in inguinal hernia patients. Though associated, it is separate from the hernia itself. So, the surgeon may have repaired the hernia but overlooked the lipoma. Of course, this is just speculation. If that is the case, I'm not sure why the lipoma was not also removed since from what I understand, it is a fairly simple procedure. I am visiting my surgeon tomorrow. I have a mass that is attached to my left spermatic cord and may be a lipoma but am not sure since I didn't have it (or at least didn't notice this) prior to the laparoscopic repair which occurred 7+ weeks ago. We'll see.
|