Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Coping with hypoglycemia

User Profile
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I am a 38 year old mother of 3 young children who just got diagnosed (2 days ago) with severe hypoglycemia. It now explains the "shakes", severe mood swings, exhaustion, confusion, loss of vision, loss of strength, severe headaches, cravings, fainting, etc. I am happy to know that I am not dying or just going crazy. In my 20's, I self diagnosed myself with Chronic Fatigue. In my early 30's (when I started having children), I diagnosed myself with postpardum depression. Lately, I just thought I had some terminal desease that went undetected for years. I have been researching the condition online and have found some good info. I started my "diet" yesterday, but still feel like a truck hit. I have cut back on the caffine, but I have to admit that I am scared to give up sugar and caffine all at once. How will I make it through a day of work to come home to care for my children (do homework, dinner, baths, etc.) without having anything to rely on to kee

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
Hypoglycemia Answer A12382
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know a little more about hypoglycemia.

Hypoglycemia is a condition when the blood sugar is lower than the normal ranges. It is characterized with exhaustion, confusion, loss of vision, loss of strength, fainting, shaking, etc. This condition may appear in cases of low energy diet in order to reduce weight and avoiding or skipping meals. Hypoglycemia may also appear in cases of diabetes or insulinoma, a tumor of the pancreas that is derived from beta cells and secretes insulin.

Given the data that you described, you may or may not be experiencing hypoglycemia due to an underlying medical condition. You should eat properly and regularly, including carbonhydrates, lipids and proteins in your diet. See an endocrinologist for further diagnosis, if you experience another episode of hypoglycemia despite the intake of food, to rule out diabetes or insulonoma.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.