Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cerebral Palsy Forum

Coping with hemiplegia

i am 15 years old and have a very mild case of hemiplegia. it affects the left side of my body(arm and leg) because of this i dont use my left arm that much. my right arm is completely normal. aside from tight tendons etc, the size of the two arms are very different. my right arm and forearm is muscular and defined while my left arm and forearm are very small and scrawny. are there any specific excercises i can do to try to balance this out? (mainly the bicept, shoulder and forearm.....so basicly the whole arm) anyway if anyone could please help me out that would be great. again, my case is really mild and the only noticeable thing is a limp and the fact that i cant straighten my left arm all the way or flip the palm of my hand over
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied October 26th, 2011
Hi I have exactly the same hemiplegia as you. I just go about my day normally and do everything with both hands. Sometimes I do get "bad" days and Im totally useless. Though to be honest, the only advice I could give you is to not put off using your left side, once you use it, you will strengthen the muscles if even just slightly and this will help with your mobility. You don't need exact exercises as such just try and do things that will make you use your left arm. As for your left leg, stretching the tendens is a good idea, ie. Getting someone to push your foot (not roughly just enough to get a stretch) put you need to try and stay relaxed for this to work well(I know it sounds easier than it is). Good luck
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2014
I am 41 with mild left- side Cerebral Palsy.
You should excercise. I work full time and have a family.I hit a heavy bag and do push-ups. It helps
with coordination, and using both hands. E-mail me if you have questions. God bless you.
|