Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Copeoscopy , vaginal biopsies and ECC

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
It's been exactly a week since I had an copeoscopy, several vaginal biopsies and an ECC. I wasn't explained the after effects and what to watch for. Since the morning of my procedures I've had severe (can't leave my heating pad or bed) abdominal cramping and bleeding. The bleeding went from a red-brown discharge (enough to fill half a panty liner) for three days. Then the cramping got worse and so did the bleeding. I've had to change my pads (I'm too scared to use a tampon after the biopsies and ECC) every 30mins to an hour and them completely soaked through. As well as the cramping and bleeding, since the procedure I've been really exhausted and just can't find any energy. I have two children, one 6 years old and the other 15 months, to where I force myself to get up. The more I move the more I bleed and cramp. I didn't know if hese symptoms were normal. I live eight hours from my doctor and was in the process of finding a doctor alot closer to home when I was called abruptly (had already collected my medical chart from my dr office) to come in immediately for these procedures after just being there two weeks prior. My other question(s), other than the bleeding and cramping, is: After an ECC is performed what is usally the next step(s) go or bad? The reason I'm curious is that I was told to come back 8-10 later. I would like to be prepared for whatever is said or done. I do realize this is a tough question to answer due to not knowing the full extent of my medical history, etc. Thank you for your time and I ope to hear back from you. Thank you again.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2010
Supporter
I had to look up ECC (endocervical curettage) which is a more though swabbing that is similar to taking a pap smear sample.
I had my second coloposcopy last month. I was told not to wear tampons or have sex for at least one week so the cervix could heal properly. The procedure caused my period to come on early and the same may have happened to you. If the bleeding is more than you normally experience during your period, I suggest that you contact the doctor and voice your conerns. As for the cramping, you (like as did) get to experience the joys of double cramping- menstrual cramping as well as cramping from the procedure. I was not told to return to the doctor's office but was given the biopsy results (no cancerous or precancerous cells! whoopee) over the phone. You may want to take an iron supplement because you are probably anemic from the excessive bleeding. That will definitely cause tiredness and lack of energy.
|

replied March 19th, 2011
copeoscopy, several vaginal biopsies and an ECC
I just recently had a copeoscopy, several vaginal biopsies and an ECC performed as well after having an abnormal pap that showed signs of HPV. I myself was also not well alarmed of the aftermath of having the procedure performed. I experienced a darkish red substance coming out that caused for me to wear pads for a few days & then switch to panty liners. I had severe cramps & started my menstral cycle exactly a week after test & i can say too; my cramps doubled in pain. I recently received test results back & was diag w/ moderate displasia, i do have HPV. I am not sure what it is called, but my 2md procedure to under go is the Dr. is going to freeze my "bad" cells & cervix. I was warned this time that i get to experience the cramping & so called "icky" substance nurse descriped for a couple of weeks. I hope this help at all, but this is what i knw from experience. None of this is fun needless to say & just plain sucks!! I wish you all the best of luck & God Bless. --Trying to stay positive Smile
|

replied March 19th, 2011
copeoscopy, several vaginal biopsies and an ECC
I just recently had a copeoscopy, several vaginal biopsies and an ECC performed as well after having an abnormal pap that showed signs of HPV & abnormal cells. i am a married woman for 3 years & have been w/ my husband for 8 yrs so this was a total shock. Dr. says HPv can be dormant in ur system for 8-10 yrs & 80% of woman have this. I myself was also not well alarmed of the aftermath of having the procedure performed. I experienced a darkish red almost fiberous substance coming out that caused for me to wear pads for a few days & then switch to panty liners. And to top that off, one am i went to the restroom & to my surprise when trying to urinate, i pushed out a large mass of darkish red subtance (gross as may sound, kinda looked like an old tampon) i freaked out (it was a sunday) & called dr. on call & dr. stated that it was rare but some woman do experience the discharge ( inwhich is a gunk they put in you to stop the bleeding after the biopsy) come out is large masses. I had no idea! felt like i just gave birth almost! (never had kids yet, so may be overstatement) i just stared at it in disbelief that just happened, they soo did not warn me of that. so crazy & was releived to know that an organ didnt fall out ooff me! Dr. said sometime some tissue can come out with the discharge as well ( in my case) I also had severe cramps & started my menstral cycle exactly a week after test & i can say too; my cramps doubled in pain ( tried pads for a few days, but couldnt do it -hate them- & used light tampons). I recently received test results back & was diag w/ moderate displasia, i do have HPV. I am not sure what it is called, but my 2nd procedure to under go is the Dr. is going to freeze my "bad" cells & cervix to try to kill them off so that does not develop into the "c" word. I was warned this time that i get to experience the cramping & so called "icky" substance nurse descriped for a couple of weeks. I hope this help at all, but this is what i knw from experience. None of this is fun needless to say & just plain sucks!! I wish you all the best of luck & God Bless. --Trying to stay positive Smile
|