Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Continuing causes of abdominal pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I am 21 years old and have one child who is 2. For the past month I have been having severe abdominal pain one, two three times a week. The last three times when i went to the bathroom when I defecated significant amount of bright red blood came out from the rectum. I get a cold sweat when the abdominal pain comes, it is usually in the morning (i had my period about 1 1/2 weeks ago, so I don't believe I am pregnant), and I get very nauseated. Usually after I defecate the pain starts to slowly go down. Then sometimes it comes back for 30 minutes and then its gone. It lasts for about 1-2 hours then afterwords I feel perfectly fine. What is this? Should I be concerned or go to the ER right away?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A10716
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know the cause of your current condition.

Abdominal pain may appear in one of several situations: during constipation when the gas, which is normally produced by processing the food in the intestine, is trapped in the intestine (as it presses on the wall it stretches the muscles and they contract painfully), in case of invagination (a condition more common in children), intestinal polyps, ileus, appendicitis, gallbladder issues, stomach (gaster) issues, ovarian conditions such as torsion, etc. The location of the abdominal pain is crucial. Bleeding from the alimentary canal may be presented as vomiting blood in the case of esophageal varices, ulcers, etc, or presented as digested dark to black feces (melena) due to intestinal bleeding (stomach or duodenal ulcers, polyps, bleeding from tumors, etc. If the blood is fresh and red it may be due to hemorrhoids or vaginal bleeding due to gynecological conditions.

According to the data that you described, you may or may not be experiencing any of the conditions listed above. See your doctor for further diagnosis. You may need to have diagnostic tests such as a colonoscopy. See your gynecologist to rule out a possible miscarriage. See the ER if you experience bleeding large amounts of blood (vomiting, or defecating melena) combined with dizziness, cold sweats, blurred vision and tinitus.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical condition online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a gynecologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options for your current conditions.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.