Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

constipation, with bad nausea, cramps, hot flashes, headache

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I've had IBS since childhood. In the last few months, I've experienced severe, chronic constipation, with bad nausea, cramps, hot flashes, headaches, and fatigue. I also have fibromyalgia and hypothyroid. My thyroid levels were high, so my meds got adjusted a couple of weeks ago. I'm on a daily regimen of Metamucil and Miralax, and take Milk of magnesia every few days.I was in the ER for being completely full, and needed Go Lytely to get it out. I have lost 76 pounds since April on a low-carb diet. I was an intense pre-diabetic before the weight loss. My sickness symptoms are worsening, and i am sick every day. I can't function like this. My doctors are no help, and I'm desperate. The nausea, hot flashes, cramps, and headaches all come together and are related to my stomach issues. Can you help?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2012
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A29953
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the symptoms of nausea, hot flashes, cramps and headaches along with chronic constipation. You have also made a mention of taking treatment for hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia and IBS along with arthritis.
There is one thing very important for you to understand i.e. IBS is a complex syndrome and no set treatment works. You have to find the right combination of available therapies in consultation with your personal physician that help you to live a wholesome life.
You might be suggested changes in diet, exercise, and stress management, as well as medication. Some doctors may also recommend behavioral therapies such as relaxation, biofeedback, or hypnosis. There is also a need to take stock of any medications and co existing diseases like hypothyroidism that might also cause the symptoms mimicking IBS in consultation with your personal physician.
You need to know that if Miralax( osmotic laxative) is not working after 7 days of continued usage, they might not work at all for you. Secondly, these, if used for a long time might be habit forming and not help much in the long run.
You must consult your personal physician for definitive diagnosis and management as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is for patient education only and no specific diagnosis is claimed thereby.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.