Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Constipation an hard stools

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
OK, so this is where I think it started:

2 weeks ago this day I ate some really low quality chili that I couldn't even finish. After that I noticed I wouldn't have to go to the bathroom for no less than 3 days in between (at one point a 4 day wait!) and I really have to try. When I do go, the stools are hard and dark and come out few and far between (a bit like sheep dropping?). I do get the urgent feeling to go to the toilet but it's just difficult.

But by the end of the week nothing had changed so I thought it must be because I wasn't eating enough fibre so I stocked up on green veg and wholemeal bread. That didn't change anything. I should probably mention that earlier this summer I had to stay in hospital for a few days because the doctors said I had an irritated intestine, and I couldn't go to the toilet for a whole week. It was very painful, like something between a cramp and a stitch. I'd had that feeling before but it was normally resolved by flatulence, but this time it was a lot worse. No one knew what caused it, but one theory is the frozen fried junk food I had the night before it hurt after a long period with few veg, another is the dried cooked mushrooms I'd had a couple of days earlier. I did continue eating mushrooms after that, but not the same kind. I don't know if all this could be related. Confused

Anyway I drink a lot of green tea as I've always done, and the only change I've made to my diet recently is porridge. Could that be it? I've also started cutting out meat in my diet because I've had a lot of that lately. However I have noticed recently that I've been going to the toilet a lot more frequently, and it's become slightly easier. Does this mean I'm getting better and should just not go to the Dr? Or should I go anyway? Confused

Every now and then I get a pang in my belly or chest, like a stitch. I also noticed I've been flatulating more than usual since this started. And I'm 19. Please help! I'm afraid I might have a worm or diabetes or something! Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Have you tried any type of stool softener? Stool softeners (such as those containing docusate sodium) may help. Additionally, bulk laxatives such as psyllium may help add fluid and bulk to the stool. Suppositories or gentle laxatives, such as milk of magnesia liquid, may establish regular bowel movements. Enemas or laxatives should be reserved for severe cases only. These methods should be used only if fiber, fluids, and stool softeners do not provide enough relief.

Obviously, adding fiber to your diet, keeping physically active, and drinking lots of water can help prevent constipation.

If none of these work, or you have blood in your stool or severe abdominal pain, be sure to see your doctor right away.
|
Users who thank kfkohio for this post: Towner 

replied November 20th, 2008
Experienced User
Hmm well I tend to avoid any kind of medication unless I really need it. I didn't think about drinking more water. I've always drunk rather little, but I'll increase my intake anyway. Do you think I should continue cutting back on meat?

I'll keep in mind your list. Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it! Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I didn't find anywhere that meat would contribute to constipation. I hope the water intake helps!
|