Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

constipation after spinal fusion

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I had a spinal fusion 9 months ago. I sometimes will go two to three days without a bowel movement and have pain in my lower back until I force myself to have a bowel movement.I get constipated and have to strain everytime I need to have a bowel movement. Before the surgery I had a bowel movement at least once daily with no strain. I have asked the surgeon and he said it will cure itself it's just the way my body reacted to the surgery. I only took pain pills for two weeks and only one or two a day. I hate to take drugs so I watched what I took so I feel I cannot contribute it to that. I am looking to see if possibly sometime could of or was damaged during surgery. Or if there is possibly something wrong in my colon. Can you help? Where shall I seek help?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum.

From the history provided, the presentation of symptoms it seems that the spinal fusion has caused complications of bowel motor impairment (impaired bowel movements and chronic constipation)

The complications and outcomes of spinal fusion surgery can vary according to the level of fusion and the surgical approach.

You may consider to consult a gastroenterologist or a neurologist for evaluation and further management.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.