Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

constantly swollen, having pain, now taking Tramadol

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
I already have a peptic ulcer which I have had since the beginning of February, and take Lansoprazole and ant acids. I have suffered with IBS continually since January this year. My lower and upper abdomen is constantly swollen. I am getting pain in my right side and around to my back in the liver area, am now taking Tramadol for this. I have had a scan and the scanner lady asked if when I eat fatty food does this make it worse? Yes it does. But other than this she has scanned my kidneys, pancreas, spleen and liver and gallbladder and in general everything is ok, so what could be the problem? whats causing the pain? Do I have fatty liver? She did also tell me that I don't have gall stones.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2012
Gallbladder Disease Answer A33474
Welcome to e health forum.

All your symptoms are most probably due to peptic ulcers and related gastric reflux.

Since the ultrasound has shown the liver and gallbladder, to be normal conditions like gallstones or fatty liver have been effectively ruled out.

Gastritis pain occurs in the left upper portion of the abdomen and in the back. The pain seems to travel from the belly to the back. Other symptoms of gastritis include - Belching, Nausea and vomiting, Bloating, Feeling of fullness or burning in the upper part of the belly.

First and foremost, you need to avoid foods, smoking and stuff that worsen your symptoms. Foods that need to be avoided include -

1. Alcoholic beverages, caffeinated drinks, carbonated water, and deserts high in sugar and white flour
2. Foods prepared from white flour, like puddings, breads, bagels and pretzels also should be avoided.
3. Vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, all kinds of beans and legumes, full fat milk, onions and green peas should be avoided.
4. Nonvegetarian foods to be avoided include - cured meats and high fat meat products such as sausages, salami, ham, bacon, and cold cuts ;Red meats like beef, lamb, and venison - should be less in your meals
5. Seasonings such as onion, garlic, clove, and cinnamon may irritate your stomach lining and worsen the symptoms due to gastritis

Foods that can help to improve your symptoms include
1. fruits such as pears, oranges, sweet limes, watermelons, cantaloupes etc
2. MILK products like - yoghurt and cottage cheese
3. Non Vegetarian food products - include - lean cuts of meat, white meat from chicken and turkey, and seafoods

Other measures that can help you in addition to the above dietary measures include -
1. Walking or running thirty minutes regularly and achieving significant weight reduction.
2. Stress reduction
3. Learn to relax with breathing exercises like Yoga

In addition, you might consult with your gastroenterologist for proper treatment with anti ulcer and acid reducing medications. In addition treatment for H pylori infection of the gastric mucosa can also be initiated after due testing.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.