Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Constantly stressed and worrying

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi there. I'm a 26 year old female and I'm ruining my life and my relationship because I worry and stress over everything. I can't hold a job because once I get the least bit stressed, I break down and have to quit because it actually makes me physically ill and I can't stop crying and then I actually can't breath. I worry and dwell on everything and sometimes I can't sleep, or I wake up sweating and have to puke because I just can't stop thinking about negative things in my life. I stress about going to work every day because I just don't want to have to handle any stress.
I get so angry and emotional about everything and my entire life and everything in it is being destroyed! I've tried relaxing exercises, thinking positive, blah blah etc. etc. it's all crap to be honest, nothing works. To me, I just feel like I'm being a realist, but to everyone else it seems I'm a stressed out crazy person and I just can't help myself no matter what I do...sooo..what can I do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 21st, 2009
I am in your exact shoes, and am trying to figure that out myself! When things get tough, job related, My emotions get the best of me. I end up reacting too quickly, Wanting a way out and then live with regret later! A lot of it with me is insecurity. It never seemed like much then, but as I get older I realize how IMPORTANT it is to be content with yourself; Never second guessing. The moment you put doubt in your head and think WAY too much, You over analyze; reading into things too deeply, and think the WORST. Panic sets in, and suddenly you're at a standstill, afraid to make your next move. I say to myself, thinking the worst will prepare me for the worst, and it's a crock of b/s, because when I'm done, I'm always worrying about something else. I think I just need to turn my mind off, Like that Jim Carey movie, "Spotless mind", So awesome would that be. lol.
|

replied August 13th, 2010
I feel the same way as Lana constantly. its getting to the point where now i think i might be suffering form some type of bipolar or depression as my overactive mind is just destroying everything around me. Ive left jobs constantly, ive moved alot in the last 2 years - i actually have not been settled in a very long time as i have always enjoyed the choice of doing things as they come rather than plan. Now that im older (27 to be) i feel like a failure and im constantly emotional. I always want to be left alone as i feel no one understands me! I believe i am very stressed - but all this therapeutic jargon just gets me soooooooooooooo angry and mad.
|

replied December 7th, 2010
Everytime I set a productive goal and tell myself I'm going to study or go jogging, the thought of it stresses me out. My throat becomes dry and painful and my shoulders raise automaitcally. I stress about everything to a point where not doing it makes me calm. What does this mean? It's even hard to study and I've failed every module because of this. I don't know what to do.
|

replied December 7th, 2010
Hey Orangeflower,
I'm an internal medicine intern and I feel stressed almost all the time. Probably not to the extent of your stress. When I'm stuck in a low mood, stressed out rut it feels like there's no way out. Normally I work out which helps but times that's even hard to do. I have a constant feeling of inadequacy, belittled by my attendings, and subpar relative to my peers. Pressure from hundreds of thousands in debt, from wife and kids to spend quality time with them, and from never ending need of studying seems never ending.
The main thing that helps me is if I can break free from my problems and talk and joke around with others. What helps a lot too is when I can help someone else out, in any way, helps me forget about my stressors for a bit.
My brother is a small business owner, and has also been stressed to the max lately. He's tried this supplement that he's recommended to me, I haven't actually tried it out yet though.
There is the option of medicine. I've seen way too many people living off tranquilizers and I don't really want that, but maybe some people just need them. I'm no psychiatrist though.
There's my two cents. Hopefully that might give you an idea or two and not just waste a few minutes of your life.
|

replied April 16th, 2011
Tranquilizers... Are you kidding?
Uhhh...

"I've seen way too many people living off tranquilizers and I don't really want that,..."

Major Tranquilizers are also known as Anti-Psychotics...

For these issues, which for some of you sounds like G.A.D, or Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and for others sounds like you might be going through an incredibly stressful period in your lives, neither of you need Anti-Psychotics...

And secondly, if your stress is strictly due to a stressful period in your lifetime, you might not actually have G.A.D.

First, I would recommend going to see a licensed Psychologist, and seeing what he has to say about your current condition.

If it turns out that you do have some kind of an anxiety issue, he/she could probably help to treat you for that in a variety of methods, be it classic therapy, drug therapy, I.E Benzodiazepines (NOT Tranquilizers... Obviously... Derp...), etc...

In other words, don't shoot down the concept of drugs, if it is in fact a neurological problem that you're suffering from, when you have no idea what you're talking about in the first place. Talk to a Psychologist first, and see what he would recommend.
|