Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Constantly Constipated?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I''ve had this problem since I was about 7 years old--I''m ALWAYS constipated. My mother has ulcerative colitis and my father just recovered from colon cancer.
I went to a gastroenterologist about a year ago and she put me on laxatives that I was supposed to take every night until about July. Apparently since I was always constipated, some "sensor" in my digestive tract is expanded so it doesn''t give signals to my brain when I need to go to the washroom. I stopped taking it for a week or so in July and things started going back to normal. I started taking the laxatives again until about this passed Christmas. Then I got off of it and started taking fibre pills (which I am still doing now). Everything was okay for about a week but for about a few months now I am going very irregularly to the washroom. I am constantly bloated and I hardly ever go to the washroom. I know I should consult a doctor again but I am kind of starting to get worried. I don''t want to take laxatives for the rest of my life.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong with my digestive tract? Is there a simple fix?

Thank you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Constipation in young adults is due to a stressed lifestyle with lack of proper eating habits, having more junk and processed food, rather than freshly prepared whole foods, low intake of dietary fiber and inadequate amounts of fluids.

You might consider adding enough fiber in your diet. Vegetables with high-fiber content (peas, beans, apricots, prunes, peaches, pears, plums, spinach), fresh fruits, dried fruits, and whole wheat, bran, or oatmeal cereals are excellent sources of fiber. To reap the benefits of fiber, drink plenty of fluids to help pass the stool.

Regular exercise (abdominal contraction exercises and leg raises) are also important in establishing regular normal bowel movements. Follow healthy eating habits including eating at regular intervals and avoiding skipping of meals.

For the time being you can use fibre supplements, Psyllium husk etc available over the counter to produce well formed stools. In addition drink enough fluids as well.

|

replied April 21st, 2013
I have what sounds to me to be the same symptoms as you. I recently got back from Mayo Clinic in Rochester and they diagnosed me with Bacterial Overgrowth in my small intestine. They had me take a breath test in order to see where my hydrogen and methane levels where sitting. A normal person rests between 3-4 mine were at 55-66 for the methane so they knew I had a large amount of bacteria creating air in my stomach. This often results from antibiotics which mess up your normal bacteria equation and bad bugs can sometimes take over. Normal doctors wanted to just tell me I had IBS but Mayo assured me that was not the case. Now the antibiotics Mayo gave me to kill the bad bugs worked temporarily but as soon as I started eating normally the bloating came back. So I researched for days what might be causing the bugs to cling on in my gut and came up with INTESTINAL CANDIDA OVERGROWTH. It is a yeast build up in the intestines that can cause a wide range of symptoms which I had almost everyone. The bacteria cause the bloating but you can't kill them till you kill the yeast. NYSTATIN and FLUCONAZOLE kill the yeast. Doctor shop till you find one who will work with you on this most won't. The medication has barely any side-effects but doctors for some reason don't see this as a disease but it is I assure you. I'm on the beginning stages of treatment and it seems to be helping. Also you have to change your diet temporarily. No sugar, grains, alcoholic beverages ect. Meat and vegies are your diet. Feel free to email me for further questions....Take care.
|

replied September 1st, 2011
answer to constipation question
Yeasandno, I feel that Deepak Anvekar gave you a VERY canned answer to this question. Fiber is certainly NOT always the answer. For someone who has suffered from cronic anal fissures and cronic constipation for years- I get very angry when I hear "eat more fiber". That's what all the doctors & nutritional therapists were telling me. You know- they were wrong! I have done a lot of research on the matter and I'm not going to go into it here, but more fiber is not really the answer. It might releave problems for many, but fiber in itself is not actually needed for your digestive system. It is the muscles in your intestines that are not working, pushing the food forward. "Sweeping" with fiber might help, but it could also make it worse. Having been on a very high fiber diet all my life, I have now chaged to make sure I don't get too much or I will plug up- no matter how much water I drink. What does work for me is fat, salt & excersise. I take 2 tea spoons of coconut oil every morning, along with 1/2 tsp on unrefined sea salt in a large glass of water. This, along with 20 situps twice a day keeps me regular. I avoid too much dairy, wheat and raw vegetables as well (unless juiced). If I do start to have a problem, I take 2-3 table spoons of mineral oil before bed time for a couple of nights and I increase the number of situps. Sorbitol is also very good and you will find that it prunes. Maybe increase magnesium intake as well. This has been working for me for 4 years, nothing else has. The old "fiber theory" is getting old, not to mention it puts a lot of sterss on your digestive tract and actually ages your colon. Massaging your stomach a few times a day is also very helpful, just a couple of minutes at a time. Eat food that is easy to digest. For example steamed rather than raw veggies, reduce nuts and seeds in your diet unless they are soaked, grain that has not been soured or sprouted is also hard to digest. I buy already sprouted flours and that is the only way I can eat wheat, which I am otherwise allergic to. Also take a food allergy/intollerance test. Good luck:-)
|

replied September 4th, 2011
Body Cleanse for chronic constipation
Hello Yesandno,
Have you ever done an internal body cleanse? It could be that you are predisposed to digestive disorders (you mentioned that your mother had problems as well). Given this information, I've found that doing an herbal intensive cleanse can clean out your system and allow for a fresh start. There are some good ones on the market. Perhaps you should try this then take some powerful probiotics to put your gut back in balance?
|

replied September 24th, 2011
I have to agree with XYZ10, fiber is not the answer. I was told the same for years until I finally had enough and started doing my own research. In fact following the high fiber diet recomendation will surely make it WORSE and you will never get rid of your problem. Here is the answer: The SCD diet. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is design for people with digestive problems, from constipation to IBS, Crons, you name it, as well as Autism believe it or not. Go to Amazon & invest $15 in "Breaking the Vicious Cycle". The bottom line is that your digestive system is not breaking down your food, it sits in your intestines too long while bad bacteria & yeasts feed on it, until they take over totally. With the SCD diet you only eat food that is easy to digest and no complex sugars. Honey is the only sweetener allowed, as well as fresh fruits. Food that is easy to digest won't linger semi digested in your intestines causing bacteria over growth. It is a very tough diet to start, but one you have reached phase 3 of the diet, it's really not that hard:-). I have been on it for years for constipation and I no longer have issues- at all. At this stage of the game, I still do the diet, but I cheat once in a while without any issues. I used to have serious constipation that would cause anal fissures. By the way, this diet is not a fad, and it is really how we all should be eating to be healthy. Just a recipe tip- Banana pankakes: Mash 2 bananas and mix them with 2 eggs and a pinch of salt. Fry in non-stick pan in butter. Make very small pancakes since they can be hard to flip otherwise. Sprinkle cinamon over and enjoy! Apples work well too and I just love them:-). Best of luck to you!
|

replied September 24th, 2011
I have to agree with XYZ10, fiber is not the answer. I was told the same for years until I finally had enough and started doing my own research. In fact following the high fiber diet recomendation will surely make it WORSE and you will never get rid of your problem. Here is the answer: The SCD diet. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is design for people with digestive problems, from constipation to IBS, Crons, you name it, as well as Autism believe it or not. Go to Amazon & invest $15 in "Breaking the Vicious Cycle". The bottom line is that your digestive system is not breaking down your food, it sits in your intestines too long while bad bacteria & yeasts feed on it, until they take over totally. With the SCD diet you only eat food that is easy to digest and no complex sugars. Honey is the only sweetener allowed, as well as fresh fruits. Food that is easy to digest won't linger semi digested in your intestines causing bacteria over growth. It is a very tough diet to start, but one you have reached phase 3 of the diet, it's really not that hard:-). I have been on it for years for constipation and I no longer have issues- at all. At this stage of the game, I still do the diet, but I cheat once in a while without any issues. I used to have serious constipation that would cause anal fissures. By the way, this diet is not a fad, and it is really how we all should be eating to be healthy. Just a recipe tip- Banana pankakes: Mash 2 bananas and mix them with 2 eggs and a pinch of salt. Fry in non-stick pan in butter. Make very small pancakes since they can be hard to flip otherwise. Sprinkle cinamon over and enjoy! Apples work well too and I just love them:-). Best of luck to you!
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2012
CONSTIPATION
i have been having this problem ever since i can remember and i have tried almost everything and nothing works..As i am writhing i am in pain because i just can't let anything out,fresh fruits and vegetables are things i eat on a regular basis.i need help it doesn't feel good to know that you wanna go and can't do so,and i have been s[ending a lot of money on me been constipated...
|

replied March 25th, 2013
"Empacho" constipated??
In Mexico constipation is called, "empacho" Google it. There is something you can do, yourself or someone. Place a towel/blanket on floor and lay flat on your back and with baby oil massage your stomach with your fingers together in circular motion. Press down massaging your intestines, you may feel Hard in some parts of your belly, that is stuck bowel that with this massage will help give it a push down and get to moving. Just do it a few of minutes or as u like, then get up and walk around, back to what you were doing. This will cause a bowel movement. YouTube how to do this is, is very simple. My grandma did this to us when we were little. Sorry my English is not very good.
|

replied November 12th, 2013
grr
I am so sick of this. I've been constipated for my whole life, I think since I was a toddler. I didn't know what was wrong with me until I reached high school and was finally diagnosed. Doctors are useless -- high fibre diet is crap and doesn't work. The only time I was normal was when I was late into my first pregnancy as there can't have been much room so started going daily. it felt amazing to be normal. then after the birth it returned to being every 4-5 days between going to the toilet. I had my second son 1 year ago and now people keep assuming im pregnant again because of my bloated stomach....last time I didn't even correct the person because I was too embarrassed. they just made a comment about how horrible it was to be walking on such a hot day when your pregnant as I was taking the kids and dog for a walk....im so sick of it and I don't know what to do. I want to go back to the doctors but all they want to do is just hand out laxatives as they only have 15 minute consultations with you and want to get on to the next patient. im feeling really depressed about my stomach I just want to cry. they just told me years ago I had a lazy bowel...they did a barium xray and checked celiacs and I didn't have that and im pretty sure that's all they checked for. then here, have some laxatives and eat fibre, oh and don't rely on the laxatives for too long or your body will rely on them. so most of the time it just hurts to go and sometimes makes me tear/bleed. I usually only use the laxatives occasionally when I completely are unable to go or if I have to go out somewhere and haven't been and am afraid of the silent but violent flatulence. such a gross topic but im so over it!
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.