Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Constantly appearing moles

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
User Profile
Doctor

About 6 months ago I had a very small stage 1 melonoma removed from my back. I am a 64 year old female and have never had a problem before. Since then I have had over 12 of a similar type removed as well as 13 spots with pre-cancerous cells. I now see new moles poping up every week and immediately go to my dermatologist who has put me on a "come in immediately" schedule. on every visit she does bio's on the new "moles". 2 weeks ago I had 22 samples taken where 3 were melonomas and 7 were pre-cancerous. I had the 3 melonomas removed yesterday and scheduled the 7 pre-cancers removal for next week. Today I went to her and had 5 more bio's done on new moles that were not there 2 weeks ago. I have not been able to heal from any removal surgery before I am having more. Have you ever heard of such a thing? I stayed out of the sun all of my life and do not have a cancer history in my family. All of the melonomas are very small from .15 to .25 mm in depth and barely visible.

rlcox

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2010
Skin Cancer Answer A10067
There are known inherited syndromes that predispose some people to developing melanomas (and at least one of these syndromes is also associated with an increased risk of pancreatic cancer, as well). However, other genetic factors, besides an inherited cancer gene mutation, may also predispose individual patients to developing melanoma.

In your case, I certainly agree with your Dermatologist's aggressive approach to surveillance, and her low threshold to perform biopsies. As your melanomas have been "thin melanomas" so far, your Dermatologist is doing a great job!

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.