Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Constant urge to urinate - no pain (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Hello! Smile

I am new to this forum, and I've come here out of sheer desperation for some opinions/suggestions/feedback regarding some symptoms that have been plaguing me.

I realize that whatever anybody suggests cannot be a proper substitution for professional medical care, but any ideas would at least help me with what I should do next.

I am a 25 year old woman on Orthro Try Cyclen Lo. I originally started taking it to regulate my periods, but also being in a monogamous relationship with my boyfriend, it also serves as my primary birth control method. I take it faithfully every day, and around the same time every day. My last Pap was normal as was my regular physical. Here's what's been plaguing me lately.

Ten days ago, I awoke to what felt like an abnormally full bladder. I relieved myself, as I'm sure everyone does upon waking up, but within a half an hour felt as though I had to go again...and again...and again...While there was no major pain involved, I figured it was the start of a UTI so I started drinking a LOT of pure cranberry juice and water to try and flush it out of my system. (In the past, that has done the trick and I've been able to avoid having to see a doctor.) This time was quite different. The strange part is that the urgency to urinate doesn't feel at all like it's truly coming from my bladder, but from my urethra. This is especially (and almost completely limited to) when I'm standing up and/or standing and walking around. When I sit, the urge isn't there as often. I tested my urine three days after symptoms and the AZO said it was positive for WBC but negative for nitrites. I work retail, so going back and forth to the bathroom (especially if I'm running the front) is VERY hard to do. I was put on Bactrim for classic UTI symptoms and just told to continue drinking water and urinate frequently. Well, I've finished the Bactrim as of yesterday and, while the symptoms haven't gotten any worse, they haven't gotten any better either. I'm positive that I'm not pregnant, being that I AM on the birth control pill, (though I realize nothing but abstinence is 100% effective) and considering that I haven't had sexual relations since the tail-end of my last period which was the second to last Saturday during May. To be on the safe side, of course, I've tested myself for the possibility, but the pregnancy test came up negative. I will retest should I happen to miss my next period, although I doubt pregnancy is the cause of these symptoms. (And I have no other symptom or reason to believe that I could be pregnant.) I've been going crazy online searching my symptoms, freaking out that it could be interstitial cystitis, urethral diviculara, or the even more illusive urethral syndrome. I've never had symptoms quite like this before--in the past when I've had UTIs, I've had ALL the painful and crappy-feeling symptoms whereas this time, there is no pain, just a CONSTANT urge to urinate. (And again--that feeling is centralized in my urethra, not my bladder.) I've never had just this one major symptom.

I don't know what I should do next, aside from of course following up with my primary care doctor. Would being switched to a different antibiotic be effective, or should I get a referral to see a urologist? I don't understand where this came from--it literally came out of nowhere though. I'm getting really frustrated because I have to wear the heavy bladder control pads when I'm out in public and/or at work and I can't make it to the bathroom. If anyone has ANY thoughts/advice/ideas/etc...I would REALLY be eternally grateful!

Blessings and good health,

Laura.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Well your symptoms could be coming from IC. Been there done that however the only way to be for certain is to see a urologist as s/he should be able to pinpoint and get you back on track.

~Zig
|

replied June 9th, 2009
The fact that the urinary frequency symptom appeared all of the sudden is a counter-indication for Interstitial Cystitis (IC). Most people diagnosed with IC have had a long history (many years) of urinary issues. It just does not come about all of the sudden.

Was your urine sent to a lab and cultured? If it is indeed an UTI, the lab will be able to let you know which antibiotics the bacteria are sensitive to.

Also I would ease up on the Cranberry juice; it is very acidic and can further irritate the bladder.

Follow up with your PCP.
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
Supporter
I've had the same problem and was diagnosed last month by the urologist with IC. Most of the time I feel as if I have to urinate when I stand up from a seated position. It's very annoying because when I do try to urinate to relieve the pressure very little trickles out.
|

replied June 15th, 2009
Wendyrs,

Interstitial Cystitis is a frustrating ailment but there are a number of treatment options available which can help treat the disease and manage the symptoms. The key is finding an urologist that have expertise treating this disease.

Check out this set of videos from a recent IC conference in San Diego. Dr. Parsons is an expert in the management of IC and he has worked with over 7,000 individuals who suffer from this disease.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type =&search_query=interstitial+cystitis+s an+diego&aq=f
|
Users who thank tiny_suzi for this post: wendyrs 

replied June 25th, 2009
off and on symptoms
I'm having the same issues! I've been so worried about it and confused on what it might be and feel so relieved that I;m on the path to finding out. I have been feeling this urge to urinate off and on though. like I will feel it for 3 days then it will go away for a month then randomly come back for an hour or so. is this how it's been for you? or is yours once it sarted has never gone away? I'm so frusturated!!!
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2009
Supporter
Actually it's very strange. I've noticed that mine has been better along with my IBS. Last month I went to the doc and found that after some bloodwork I had a Vit. D deficiency. I have been taking 5000 I.U. of Vit. D for the last month and body feels so much better. I had a lot of pain in different parts of my body along with the IBS and IC...I can say that since I've been taking the Vit.D. it's 90% gone. The doc thought I had Fibromyalgia but now we believe it was the vit. def.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
vit. d deficiency
I had a similar experience. Constant urge to urinate + muscle pain, dizziness. Anyway, took it upon myself to get a physical after my gyn and urologist found nothing. Sure enough, Vit. D deficiency. Have been taken 2000 I.U. and feel SO much better!
|

replied July 9th, 2009
Wow, I have the EXACT same symptoms. I am 27 years old. The only thing is about two weeks ago I had a UTI and was treatyed with antibiodics. Now.. I still have the urgency to go all the time! I went to the doctor yesterday thinking that the UTI hadn't cleared up from the antibiodics, only for the doc to tell me my urine was completely normal. So what the heck is going on with my bladder. I have that achey feeling in my bladder all the time like when you hold your pee for a long time, only I'm not! I go to the bathroom almsot every hour. If anything comes out it's only b/c I've been drinking a ton of watwer to try and flush out my system. Please help... if anyone has any thoughts on what this could be please let me know! I wonder about the whole vitamin D deficiency thing... I wonder if that could be it?
|

replied July 19th, 2011
I don't suppose you'll see this, but this is exactly what is happening to me. What happened? Did the symptoms get better?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2009
Supporter
Drinking water is good. Also, buy fresh blueberries..they make a great snack, are great for your bladder, and are good for weight loss. It's good to get checked for Vit. D. deficiency because the Vit. D has helped me a lot! Keep me posted.
|

replied November 24th, 2009
What about yeast?
I am also a 27 year old female and I am having the same issue and I had this issue about 4 months ago. My doctor prescribed me diflucan after a full pap-smear and pelvic exam claiming that I had yeast in my urine and my symptoms went away. I took a generic form of diflucan this time around and my symptoms aren't going away. It is so frustrating. I have to pee just thinking about it!
|

replied December 4th, 2009
I have th EXACT same symptoms and mine started while I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I was wondering if it could be related. One of the side effects listed is cystitis-like syndrome. I've been off the pill for 3 weeks now and no change in symptoms. I'm seeing my gyn. next friday for the 3rd time (boooo).
|

replied December 30th, 2009
Progesterone
It could be caused from the birth control. Progesterone which is in ortho-tricyclen has side effects that can cause these symptoms. Progesterone causes smooth muscles to not contract, so therefore in this case it would cause the symptoms of overflow incontinence. You definately need to contact your doctor about this problem again. Ask to be referred to a urologist if the doctor seems not to be taking you seriously. Also ask that your birth control method is changed. I'm not saying this is the reason, but this may explain your dilemma, if no other reasons are.... Hopefully you will get this problem resolved.
|

replied February 17th, 2010
I started having the same symptoms as described above,(urge to urinate contantly sometimes without a lot of out putand having that pressure feeling in your bladder that you have to go even though you just went) my 3rd week into starting BC pills. So I stopped taking them and the symptoms went away for a week and now they have come back again. If I stay off the pills does anyone know whether the symptoms should eventually just go away?
|

replied May 8th, 2011
Hi,

Did you find an answer to this as I have the same problem now for a week.

Thanks
|

replied March 21st, 2011
frequent urgent urination
I haven't heard one mention of ovarian cancer. Frequent urgency of urination with little or no urine actually coming out is one of the possible signs of this cancer.
I know ,as I was treated for UTI with antibiotics for a month before they discovered
a mass by using a transvaginal ultra sound.
Be sure that you consult a gynnocological oncologist, not a regular gyn/ob.
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
i just wanted to say hi and let ppl know that i have found a community for incontinent women. they are giving away cash rewards, Kindles and a Dell netbook, among other things. all you have to do is join!
|

replied May 27th, 2011
Imbalanced hormones can cause feeling of having to urinate...
This is a very common problem usually due to a sudden change or imbalance in hormones. I am 37 and have dealt with this exact issue for a few years now and it's also sometimes due to typical ovarian cysts that we all usually get during our cycle. I have had all the typical tests done over the years and they've always come back fine, but everyone should have their annual exams done just to be safe. Also, I would recommend telling your doctor that you want an ultrasound done just to put your mind at ease that it's nothing serious. Remember, no matter how many years of medical school a doctor has, no one knows your body like you do. Do not let them persuade you into thinking it's all in your mind because they very often resort to that diagnosis when they can't explain certain symptoms. Pay attention to your cycle and when your symptoms come & go and you will usually notice a pattern. It's all about balancing your hormones. I DO NOT recommend letting them put you on birth control to regulate your hormones, either. They will swear that they're just as safe as Bio-identical hormone choices but they're ABSOLUTELY NOT! Here's some tips that have helped me...eat healthy,(ie. fruits, veg. whole grains)exercise,take a multi-vitamin(vitamins b,magnesium, calcium & zinc are very helpful) and have your hormone levels checked by a doctor that deals in Bio-identical hormone replacement. I am speaking about all of this from personal experience...which is worth more than 100 yrs. of medical school. Best wishes to all who are dealing with this cause God knows it can really make you feel like you are losing it.lol Smile
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
hi girls have you ever googled in BESTFROMNATURE?
It is a very good site where we can find all the medical and not medical explanations on bacterial/interstitial cystitis. Over there there are some natural products which can really solve your uti's issues.
YOU DESERVE IT!!!!
All the best and keep in touch
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
What causes urethral irritation?
Hi - If you are still looking for more info, I just had a urodynamic test today. (a bladder test). The nurse practitioner administering the test kept telling me to wait for the urge to urinate up in my bladder, below my belly button. But my urge comes really from my urethra, and has for a long time. It became pretty unbearable, overshadowing the bladder sensations. I don't feel this way all the time, but I do a large percentage of the time. Like our first poster, pulsepoint129 from 2009. Google "urethritis" and see what you find. I had spicy foods last night, and sure enough that's one of the potential causes, so maybe that tripped the symptom. Acidic foods like citrus and tomatoes (but not cranberries, which have that special ingredient), spicy foods including even spicy chips, and alcohol are all causes. There are other things that can irritate the urethra causing urethritis. Google "irritate the urethra" to see what's recent, not just involving foods. (bike riding, etc)
|

replied October 9th, 2011
I suffered from uti's for many years and tried everything out there, am resistant to most antibiotics now and have started with IC(interstitial cystitis) symptoms. I have been taking Because of my bad diet and repeated use of anitbiotics over the years I have created a hightened yeast/fungi condition in my body which has led to these continued problems. I now take Candigone by Renew Life and First Cleanse to clean my blood, organs and kill the excess yeast/fungi to help bring back friendly bacterial balance within my body. I also did a 50/50 douche of apple cidar vinegar and hydrogen peroxide 3 times in the first 3 days and the burning immediately subsided from the IC. Now, after a week of the cleanse my IC symptoms are already gone and so far I haven't had another uti (had one every month). I will be on this program for 1 more month as I will complete this with the Candizyme candida killer in addition to above and am taking 50 billion probiotics to re establish a friendly bacteria balance and I have changed my diet to lots more fresh vegetables and fruits and less sugar/processed foods.
|

replied March 31st, 2012
How funny! I have IC as well and I am doing the SAME cleanse! Today was my first day of the actual cleanse, since the first 3 days is half the dose. I had a BAD flare up. I'm going to go back to the half dose and see what happens. How did your cleanse go?

I recommend everyone to read along the healing path by Catherine Simone. I am now no longer taking any pills for my IC. I drink herbs such as marshmallow root, I have been juicing a lot more, and I am now trying to rid my body of candida overgrowth (Catherine believes that is the cause which I believe because ever since I started the cleanses I am 80% better)
Please let me know how the candigone went! Thank you!
|

replied January 31st, 2012
Hormones
I really do believe like the poster above that hormone's are at the root of it but my doctor just refuses to even acknowledge it. I was on the Progesterone only implant for 3 years then went on to the mini-pill for a couple of months, again Progesterone only, so I think my hormones are imbalanced and lacking in estrogen. I have stopped taking the mini-pill because I noticed that whenever I took it about an hour later I would start needing the loo constantly. A lack of estrogen in your body can cause frequent urination, vaginal dryness, pain on intercourse etc. When I was on Ovranette many years ago (the combined pill) I never had this problem.
|
12 >>