Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Constant Sore Chest Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello,

I'm 32 and 5 ft 9. I weigh 140 lbs. I have been having sore chest pain for over a year now. A couple of years ago I sometimes had sore chest pain and it felt coming from the center of the chest. The pain moves to upper left chest and upper right chest. I didn't have sharp pains, just sore and tight chest pain. I used to drink a lot of cofee (2~ 3 times a day with lots of sugar) for 6~ 8 years. I also used to sleep with my face completely covered with my blanket (sleeping habits). 3 weeks ago I have stopped consuming cofee and sleep without the blanket covered. My chest felt "a little" better since I completely stopped drinking cofee. The sore pain in my chest is still there. One day I could be having upper left sore chest pain and the other day I could be having upper right sore chest pain. The pain moves left, right, center, upper left, upper right. it does not stay in one spot. it's not severe, but moderate. it's enough to concern me. I noticed the pain seems to depend on breathing. When I sleep I hardly get chest pain at all, almost none, but when I wake up and start doing something I get the sore chest pain..

Also, I don't excercise much, just some sit up's and push up's once every other day is about it. I tried to give you as much info as possible. What is causing me to have these symptoms? Can you help? please..

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cheez
|

replied July 29th, 2008
Update
Well I have't received any response from the doctors here so I will go ahead and tell you my experiences so far.

It's been close to a month I have stopped drinking coffee and sugar. About a month ago my chest felt worse after I drank another cup of coffee with lots of sugar. Not only was I felt sore chest but also was felt like burning. I definitely realized it had something to do with the coffee..... and sugar. I used to have feel that something got clogged up my chest or felt like air got trapped in my chest. That is completely gone now. My chest now feels like it's clear. The sore chest pain has been minimized. It is very minor now. I haven't checked my blood pressure and cholesterol level for many many years. I will continue to stop consuming coffee and sugar. I think i'm gonna go check my blood pressure and cholesterol level anyway. I may go see a doctor regarding my concern.

|

replied October 10th, 2008
Problem Solved
It was the high consumption of sugar.

It wasn't the coffee. It was the sugar I've been consuming over the years which caused to have high cholesterol / high blood pressure hence giving me chest pain. I also had felt like my chest was filled up with gas or stone.. terrible feeling. It's been 2~ 3 months that I have stopped, I mean, completely stopped consuming sugar, not even candy bar or sweet cake. I continued drinking coffee, just black coffee with NOTHING added.... My pain is gone now, 99%. Also my chest feels like clear breeze. Also sleeping with my face covered with blanket closed caused my lungs to get damaged. I stopped that over 3 months ago and now I feel much better.

Guys, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM SUGAR. It's a leathal weapon.

To quickly review, the things that messed me up were:

- Excessive amount of sugar
- Not enough clean oxygen (because I had my face covered with blanket, hence you can't breath in fresh air)

The coffee itself wasn't the problem.

lol.... protest
|

replied April 17th, 2009
Thanks for your posts and follow ups. I'm having similar issues and my coffee and sugar habits are not unlike yours. I never even considered sugar to be the root of the problem and after reading your posts and other sites, sugar, at least in the quantities I consume, is bad news. Even if it doesn't solve my problem I'll be doing myself a favor by cutting it down or out.
Thanks again.
|

replied April 20th, 2009
Hi moonshootr, glad to help.. Yea for me it was the sugar. I am completely well now. I have stopped consuming sugar for the past 6~ 8 months now... Also, somehow my body does not seem to like coffee anymore, so I have minimized drinking coffee down to 10%. I have no more chest pain, it's stable and consistent.

Funny thing... at the time I was sick I had more chest pain when I tried to do any kind of exercise. Even doing things like like waxing my car, my chest had more pain, also like my heart beat faster and had pain as it beats.

But yea as for the sugar... definitely cut it down, or quit it.. Also things like candy bars, cakes, donuts, etc are also bad. sunny
|

replied April 20th, 2009
The sugar might explain alot because my cholesterol levels were in the 'extreme risk' category at my last check up and I don't eat much in the way of high cholesterol. It was only after reading yours and other posts that I found out sugar can contribute to high cholesterol.

Once you realized it was sugar causing your pain and you cut it out of your diet do you recall how long it took until you felt better?
|

replied April 20th, 2009
moonshootr, yes, what you found out about what sugar does to our body is correct. It took me at least a month or two to see the effect since I stopped consuming sugar. It was a night and day difference. But at the time I was still drinking coffee (without sugar, nothing added) and still had about 10~ 15% of pain. I stopped consuming coffee months later and my pain gone away completely. So I say try quitting sugar and coffee all together and see how that works out... And if that works, try start drinking coffee without sugar, black coffee. Maybe my body doesn't like coffee, I don't know, but I've read about coffee beans and it has the nutrients and beneficial to our body. But from what I can tell the sugar is the one gave me the most pain and made my body felt very weak and tired even though I eat well, with good nutrients.
|

replied May 4th, 2009
what do you mean by quitting sugar?what kinde of food u left out?
|

replied June 10th, 2009
woriedheart wrote:
what do you mean by quitting sugar?what kinde of food u left out?

Oops sorry for the late reply. When I said quiting sugar I meant not consuming the actual sugar, the one you buy at the grocery store.

Update to you all guys, as of June 2009, my chest pain is gone 100%. So it took me almost a year. I am also experiencing the following:

- Headaches gone away.
- When I sit down for a while and stand up all the sudden I don't get dizzy anymore.
- When I sneeze I don't get pain in my head. Before, I sneeze I had pain, like pressured in my head. That's gone now.
- When I wash/wax my car I don't get chest pain anymore.
- My heart rarely pounds when I take a nap or sleep at night. It beats very lightly, like normal. This makes a lot of sense to me cause if your blood pressure is high due to high cholesterol your heart would have to pump the blood harder to keep the flow going, hence you get stronger heartbeats even when you are not doing anything.
- My body feels light and healthier. I don't get tired easily like before.
- I can also breath better. When I inhale deep my chest gave me some pain but that's gone away too.
- I can think better. This makes sense cause good blood flow delivers blood and oxygen to your brain better. I can't believe it's giving me so many benefits..

I'm just reporting my experiences here. I'm not making anything up.
|
Users who thank cheez for this post: AndyH 

replied June 10th, 2009
As for drinking coffee, I keep it diluted with water. I put about 80~ 90% water in a cup and pour about 10% coffee. My body seems to accept this okay.
|

replied April 1st, 2011
Thanks for your post, it has been very insightful. It's been about 2 years since your last post and I was hoping to see if your experience is the same. I dink ALOT of coffee (5-7 cups a day)! No sugar added, only 1/2 1/2. I don't add sugar to anything. No soda, rarely candy. I do have the identical pains in the chest you described for about 18 months now! I had stress test (was fine), followed through with angiogram and it was clear...but still the soreness in the chest. Do you think coffee is the issue?
thanks
|

replied August 26th, 2009
Bad Chest Pain, Palpatations, Thudding Heart
Hi

I have also been having really bad chest pains for the past year and a half. I have been for numerous tests and no one can give me a solid reason. I feel like my heart is pounding in my chest sometimes as well which is really scary, but my blood pressure is fine. I do eat a lot of chocolate though, and have done for years, i wonder if this could be causing the problem?? But then would my cholesterol etc not be up as well, and at the moment its fine.

Please help!

From
Scared
|

L11, you might want to start off by checking your blood pressure and cholesterol level. you can then get an idea if you have potential for getting heartattack or not.

I don't know what chocolate does to our body. I don't know if it has sugar or is it natural stuff? One day I ate a bunch of chocolate and I got terribly sick from it, so I stopped eating it.

Just to be on the safe side I would not recommend eating chocolate.. I haven't consumed sugar for 1 1/2 years now. My chest pain is completely gone. My body also feel healthier.
|

Hi Cheez, i know my blood pressure is normal, i have had it checked quite recently. I guess i should get my cholesterol checked as well though. I am going to stop eating chocolate and sugary foods and see how that affects my body over the next few weeks.

Thanks for your help

L11 X
|

replied February 26th, 2010
Natural Fruit Sugars?
Hey thanks for the info, I've been having similar chest pains and dizziness when standing up, and yes I do eat an absurd amount of sugar. I'm definitely going to cut out sugar but do you know if this also applies to natural sugars like that found in fruit?
|

replied May 6th, 2010
Re: Natural Fruit Sugars?
theaceb wrote:
Hey thanks for the info, I've been having similar chest pains and dizziness when standing up, and yes I do eat an absurd amount of sugar. I'm definitely going to cut out sugar but do you know if this also applies to natural sugars like that found in fruit?

Hi theaceb, sorry for the late response. Yeah cut down on sugar. As for the natural sugar, I don't know... I can't imagine any type of fruit would cause problems. What kind of fruit are you talking about exactly?

About 6 months ago I started consuming more cabbage and spinach. I have read somewhere that the Spinach helps with heart and arteries too. I add these in the ramen. Amazing stuff.
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Eating right is a better high then drugs! LOL
I am 26, 6'6'', a little over 200 ilbs and in good shape. Quit smoking 6 months ago, and also quit drinking. I wanted to get in good shape, but I have always felt.... Sick. Doctors said it was hypochondria. I didnt think I had things, I just felt... GROSS. All the time.

Recently, and I mean in the last 2 months, I discovered a thing called Stomach Heat because I was having some pretty bad stomach problems. I figured the diet for it was healthy and good regardless of if thats what I had so decided to follow it.

Cutting out sweets, coffee, most tea (still bad about drinking tea though! lol), a lot of red meats, fried foods, BBQ food, tobacco, drinking, also onion and garlic, and cheese... But I love garlic n onion and cheese, so that gets in there a lot xD I also cut back on eggs, and started drinking soy milk, and water, and vitamin waters. Plus quite active physically.

the results have been astounding! Essentially I'm eating chicken, n fish and a LOT of fresh and cooked veggies and fruits. Still some of the red meats n cheese and such... But I'm sleeping. My sinuses mostly cleared (first time in my life), my heart doesnt pound, no anxiety. I have energy. I can think clearly. My skin is oil free where it was oily, and no longer dry where it was dry. My breath is better too! And my eye site even. And the sick feelings are GONE! I essentially grew up on pop n candy, and have drank a TON (I used to drink a 12 pack a day of soda) of soda and coffee over the years.

But yesterday and today I had a few cups of coffee due to late classess, and being low on money I have ate some greasier burger meat the last week. Currently my chest hurts again, slamming heart, hot flashes and anxiety. I hope after a longer time of eating right I wont fall back into this grossness so easy. But I CAN attest to what is being said here about coffee and sugar!

Try googling stomach heat. Nothing wrong with eating like it recommends and my GOD I feel amazing doing it!!

edit - kinda unrelated, but benadryl does the same things to me coffee and sugar does in the chest pain, the anxiety, n heart department. Actually, benadryl almost mimics ALL the gross symptoms. Just FYI.
|

replied June 1st, 2012
Hi,

I would just like to say thank you. I have been getting chest pains, the dizzyness and headaches and couldn't work out what was causing it as the doctor said I was perfectly healthy.

You have been a real help Smile
|

replied September 20th, 2012
Hi mandaboo,

Yes I'm doing good. It's been over 4 years since I posted the thread about the chest pain. It's all gone now. I had to cut down sugar consumption (via coffee) and other junk food. If I kept doing what I was doing prior to the creation of this thread I would be in some serious health condition by now.Smile

cheers,

Cheez
|