Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Constant smell in nose

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
For the last 4 - 5 weeks i have had a very strange smell and taste up my nose \ throat. The nearest smell is like a slight farmyard smell.

I have hayfever and have been working on a field for the last four weeks near to a farm. The only things is my partner that has been with me cannont smell the smell and i can even smell it during the day and night and when i have not been to the field for a few days.

With the smell i can also faintly taste the smell at the back of my mouth.

One strange thing today at the field suddnly a very strong smell of the farm blew at us from the farm and both mine and my partners nose instalntly poured with a clear water like liquid. This was the first time she smelt the farm.

Any ideas its getting annoying now having this constant smell and taste.

Many Thanks,

Adam
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 28th, 2009
I have the same thing - kind of. Whenever I drink coffee i always get that smell - so I stopped and it stopped. But now it's happening again and i don't know why or what it is, but it lasts all day.

Sometimes it happens when I'm around something burning too.
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Have you recently ingested any zinc cold remedies? These products can cause olfactory nerve damage which results in odd smells/tastes and even a complete loss thereof. I have olfactory nerve damage from a zinc cold remedy (cough lozenges) and I smell sulphur or burnt hair all the time. When the damage first occured I smelled ammonia very strongly.
|
Quick Reply