Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Constant pain under right rib

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello,

I have been sick for about 5 weeks now. It started with a dry cough and I was extremely fatigued. 3 weeks later it seemed to be clearing up, then my symptoms changed, I got a very phlegmy cough (though it was white/clear).. The next week I started getting a very bad pain just under my lower right rib, sometimes it would also feel like it crackled. I went to the doctor and he said it was just cough left over from my cold, and possibly a bruised rib. I was given a puffer and codene for the pain. I haven't been using the codene, it made me too drowsy. Over a week later, these are now my symptoms:

Weight loss (dropped from 122 to 116) -- I'm 19 years old.
loss of taste and smell
fatigue
feeling weak
runny nose (and nose is stuffy)
constant pain under lower rib cage, though not as severe as when it first started
stomach aches, sometimes diarreah
sometimes coughing to relieve phlegm

I feel no better than I did 5 weeks ago. Could this pain somehow have to do with my liver?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 18th, 2009
Pain under right rib cage
Hi,

I have hepatitis C and I do get pain in the same place. That is where your liver is located, on the right under your ribs. Nausea
can go along with liver diease also. I would
ask to be checked for hepatitis. Also, your stools can turn a yellow, mustardy color with
liver disease. I cough a lot with a lot of phlegm also but I don't think that would have
anything to do with liver disease unless you have some problem with your esophagus or reflux can cause that. I have had to have my esophagus dilated twice for swallowing problems.
|

replied May 18th, 2009
liver
why does the doctor check your liver on the left and then said it is swollwing or enlarged my pain is on my left side
|