Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Constant pain in right side

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
User Profile
I have had this pain on my right side come and go for a year now, and thinking "kidney infection".. took Cranberry juice.
These bouts only lasted 3 - 4 days , and quit.
Thanksgiving 08, it came and stayed!
I suffered it out for 30 days thinking it would go away.
The pain is constant, but the nauasa comes and goes, but got so bad i could hardly function and went to the ER.
They did blood/urine/CT/Endo/... only found a 1cm stone in the right kidney,not moving, diverticulosis in mid and lower colon, but CT did not show "infection" or other abnormal's.
THE PAIN KEEPS GETTING WORSE!!, the nausea IS UNBEARABLE AT TIMES, and i cannot hardly move when it hits, which is usually 3 to 4 times a day.
There HAS TO BE SOMETHING WRONG SOMEWHERE,just because the CT is clear does not make the pain go away.The Doctors "swear" by the CT and wont go any further.
There has to be a way to find what is causing my symptoms, as THEY ARE VERY SEVERE, PLEASE / PLEASE, ANY RESPONSE?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2009
Abdominal Pain Answer A5997

The exact location of the pain would be more helpful. Location of the pain in some of the possible causes is given below:

1. Chronic appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) - draw a line between the belly button and frontal upper angle of the pelvic bone. Then divide the line in three parts. The border between the middle part and the part closer to the pelvic bone is the usual location of fully developed inflammation of the appendix, including chronic appendicitis.

2. Gallbladder stones or chronic cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) – location of the pain under right ribcage

3. Kidney issues (kidney stones, kidney infection) – location of the pain in the back approximately 5 cm from the middle back line. Have in mind that this pain can shift with the kidney stone moving in the kidney or down the ureter.

4. Gasses in the colon – the pain might be located in the whole stomach, but sometimes can stay only in the particular part of the colon that is distended. If the ileocecal valve is affected, then the location of the pain is close to the location of appendicitis.

The pain in kidney stones and gasses in colon are usually not continuous.

You might want to have a second opinion from another doctor. Also, have him asked about ileocecal valve syndrome, since it is a condition that is very easily overlooked. The only test that was reported and could show this condition was colonoscopy (endoscopy of the colon) if all the colon (including upper colon) and the ileocecal valve was examined.

Have in mind that this “right pain” might be only reflected from remote organ, thus complicating the diagnostics.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.