Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

constant pain in my left index finger joint

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
User Profile
Hello,
I have been having this constant pain in my left index finger joint. To be more precise, in my proximal inter-phalangeal joint. There is no swelling but the pain has been on and off for a while, coming up only when I stress my finger use. The stress is only by playing guitar. I tend to use all my fingers with equal pressure and yet it's only been my index finger that is constantly under pain. I don't think I injured my index finger by any means, so it'd be helpful if I could sort of put my finger on the problem :) :D i.e., if the reason could be pointed out.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Arthritis Answer A27747
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

At your age, there are no major issues like arthritis, etc, to cause pain or difficulty with movements.

The most likely cause of your pain would be stress on the tendons of your index finger.

A few days of rest with placement of splint, to allow proper and complete healing would be very helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.