Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Constant nausea after gallbladder removal (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
i had my gallbladder removed two months ago due to low function, right side pain and nausea. Surgery went well, yet on day 3 nausea set in and is horrible. it's 24-7. my doc said this is not normal. i see others have posted with the same issue. i am desperate for answers. i can't funciton like this...it's horrible. i have a family to care for and can't work. please give me any advice.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2010
Gallbladder Disease Answer A12208
Hello, welcome to the ehealth forum and thanks for asking your question.
You seem concerned by the severe nausea after surgery for removal of gall bladder 2 months back.
Here are some possibilities to consider-
First could be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. It typically causes biliary pain, nausea and vomiting. One hypothesis suggests that unmasking of pre existing SOD is due to removal of the gallbladder, which may have served as a reservoir to accommodate increased pressure in the biliary system occurring during sphincter spasm. You might want to discuss the option of an ERCP to evaluate for this with your gastroenterologist.
Another possibility could be dyspepsia. An upper endoscopy to evaluate for gastritis, esophagitis or peptic ulcer disease would be a reasonable option.
Another possibility could be of acid reflux. You can try anti-reflux therapy in consultation with your doctor. If you are continuing to experience nausea and other acid reflux symptoms despite anti-reflux therapy, a 24-hour pH study can confirm the diagnosis. If positive, then surgical options may be considered.
Finally, your doctor may also want to order a gastric emptying scan for gastroparesis.
You can discuss these possibilities with your gastroenterologist to determine the appropriate next step.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.