Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Constant Nasal Discomfort - Crusty Build Up

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
The inside of my nasal passage has been very dry, and forming hard, crusty and deeply rooted (boogers?) I've always struggled with dry itchy noses due to constant hay fever and skin dryness, but for the past 2 months, its been unbearable. If i don't remove the nasal growth i'm left with sharp edged blockages in my nasal passage. When I do remove them with a tissue or q-tip mostly, I'm left with stinging nasal linings which just re-grow the build up within hours. I've tried saline sprays to loose and moisten, and Ayr saline nasal gel to soothe and protect, but they are very temporary fixes which typically lead to a headache.

It's to the point where it's become an embarrassing (due to nose picking) and extremely discomforting and daily life interrupting problem. Is it worth visiting my doctor for a prescribed ointment? Is there anything over the counter? Is there a reason this is happening? I'm becoming increasingly concerned with the Spring allergy season rapidly approaching.

Help! Thank you so much.

-Russ
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ChrisDC123
|

replied April 30th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied May 18th, 2011
I have the same problem, how about an answer from someone who understands and has a cure.
|

replied December 14th, 2012
did it ever go away? I have the same thing. The only thing i can put it down to is i just moved near to a factory that emits a lot of smoky crap, or that i spread something from my recent ear infection to my nose.
|

replied February 7th, 2013
crusty nose
i cant find a real answer to what these motor fixed bogies are.. just alot of temp cures.. if any one finds out why there forming or how to get rid of them for at least 4 hours, please reply... thanks
|

replied June 24th, 2013
Dry, crusty nasal passages. Help!
I have the same exact problem. I take a lot of meds which causes dry mouth. I assume it is also drying my sinuses out. I also had two sinus surgeries years ago and suffer from Sinusitis. What comes out of my nose is like a long hard crust. I had to keep blowing my nose over and over and finally is dislodged. Sorry if it sounds disgusting. Not sure of any other way to explain. The Dr. said use saline drops by not helping. I was excited to see an answer here but all I saw were ads to a forum. If anyone has found an answer, I would love the help. Thanks.
|

replied November 21st, 2013
Dry Nose
You could try a humidifier near your bed when you sleep. I suffer from the same problem and it helps, especially during the dry winter season, because your heater/AC is removing all of the moisture from your air. I purchased a small cool misting/fogging type online, it's small, quiet, and the tank holds enough water for a full night.
|
This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!