Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

constant muscle tightness

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
so lately i've been hit with constant muscle tightness. I'm pretty active with sports. but for the last few weeks, my muscles tighten up and spasm and cramp up, most of my muscles are affected(depends on the movement). any ideas what could be happening? dont think its just being dehydrated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Could be a lot of things. Two answers I can think of directly is lack of stretching, or you have some sort of vitamin/nutrient deficiency.

Do you get muscle tightness randomly through out the day? Or after playing sports?

I will move this to fitness section so you might receive some more answers, this isn't exactly a "men related condition"
|

replied April 17th, 2008
the tightness usually hits me during the sporting activities, but has hit randomly during the day, i do stretch every time, more so since all the spasm/tightness started occurring. list of tightness locations(neck, right tricep, left calf, lower back, glutes)
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
So then for instance, you could be walking along, no worries or troubles in the world at the moment and not doing any physical activity, and then all of a sudden your calf or other various parts would suddenly contract and tighten up?

What sports do you do, how frequently and how long? What is your diet like on a typical day and do you eat/drink anything in particular before or after your sport activities?
|

replied April 17th, 2008
Experienced User
I'm not sure what causes the tightness/cramps/spasms. However, I know that eating bananas will definitely reduce how prone u are to cramps due to how much potassium they have Wink
|

replied April 18th, 2008
Supporter
let me suggest self-myofascial release or foam rolling. there is quite a bit of literature out there on how to do it. basically you are working out all the "knots" in your muscle fibers and is used as a pre-stretch exercise as well as a cool dwon. this technique will allow you to be loose at the time of stretching and allow great rang of motion on static stretches.
|