Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

constant kidney problems since birth

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
Ok! I am 39, have 2 children. Since i was born, i have had constant kidney problems and monthly utis. I have had antibiotics from birth until i was 30, in the end i stopped taking them because they made me vomit. My gp told me i have a hole in each kidney. When i gave birth,on both occasions i suffered high blood pressure. Last year i started to suffer from bad bouts of ibs and utis every single month to coincide with my period. I suffer from bad kidney pains and have to constantly swallow pain killers (which dont even take the edge off) any ideas as to what might be happening??

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2011
Kidney Conditions Answer A18649
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on ehealth forum.

Based on the history, it seems that you may be having either a renal cyst or a renal stone, which may have been described as a hole in the kidney. Presence of an actual hole in the kidney would lead to serious issues including urine drainage within the pelvic cavity and severe renal infections.

Presence of severe pains and need for pain killers indicate that the problem here may be a renal stone. Presence of smaller stones can be treated conservatively. But larger stones causing severe pain and other symptoms may need some therapeutic interventions.

Also the history of recurrent UTI's indicate that you may be having Struvite stones. Specifically, infections with urease-producing bacteria (Ureaplasma urealyticum and Proteus species (most common), Staphylococcus species, Klebsiella species, Providencia species, and Pseudomonas species) are associated with struvite stone formation. Struvite calculi account for up to 30% of urinary tract stones and are more frequent in women.

You might consider consulting a physician or a urologist for a physical examination and a few diagnostic tests including a urinalysis, urine culture sensitivity which can help know the cause of recurrent UTIs and this will help to initiate necessary treatment.

Dietary modifications can be initiated once the type of stone is diagnosed to prevent recurrances, once the the problem is adequately treated.

I hope you find this information useful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.