Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Constant kidney infections, diabetes but nothing found

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I am a 25 year old female with Type 1 Diabetes which I have had for 21 years. For the past year and a half I have suffered from kidney infections, at least 1 a month and I had never suffered from any prior to this. I have had a CT Scan, ultrasound and cystoscopy done over a year ago but nothing was found. All they found was the infection I had was uncommon and my right kidney was larger but was nothing to worry about. It is my right kidney that is always sore and I feel it niggles me constantly. My infections have varied between feeling generally unwell to full blown fever, sickness and leg pain. I was put on a course of anti-boitics for 2 months but I am still getting infections and my right kidney always seems to be sore. I was also tested for kidney disease over a year ago but again this was not found. I am worried it could be the case or that something is there but not found. Is there anything else it could be or am I just really prone to infection?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2017

Females have a higher risk for UTIs than most males, probably because of their anatomy, because ‎their urethra is short and its exit (or entry for pathogens) is close to the anus and vagina, which can be ‎sources of pathogens. ‎

In addition, females who become sexually active seem to have a higher risk of UTI. This is due to the ‎fact that during sexual intercourse, bacteria in the perineal region (Vaginal Introitus, Anal opening) can ‎be propelled into the urethra. The resultant friction associated with sex also creates urethral tissue ‎damage increasing the severity of infections. ‎

The risk of such ascending infections to the kidney , causing damage and symptoms is more likely in such cases.

Going forward, if tests including a urinalysis, renal function tests, a renal ultrasound are all normal then there is no reason for you to worry.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.