Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Constant bloating

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
This has just been for the past few days. I'll eat like an apple and a small ham/egg english muffin and I feel very full (which is not usual) The bloating goes up to my chest and can cause chest pains.
I was diagnosed w/IBS about 17 years ago and I probably have GERD (2 yrs), which i take Prevacid for. My IBS is pretty much under control. I take probiotics as well. I did recently run out of my marshmallow root but I only took one pill a day and never noticed any difference before when I'd miss a day or two.
I read on here it could be gastroparesis...??
I also have been taking Allegra for about 1.5 weeks for a severe pain in my left ear. Could that med cause this? I burp a lot too. I've been trying to drink more herbal tea but it doesn't seem to be helping. I eat at least 2 fruits a day and take benefiber. My work schedule (pet sitter) was heavy over the holidays and I had been getting broken sleep (sleep 3 hrs, work, sleep 3 hrs, etc) and I've been quite tired. (I'm giving all this extra info to avoid lots of questions later.) My schedule has calmed down now, but I'm still tired. My mom recently caught a cold from my dad but I don't have it yet.
Went to the doctor and he gave me hyoscyamine to calm the contractions. I'm kind of leary that this will help...
He doesn't think the Allegra would cause this. It's hard to sleep at times b/c of this feeling, as I have to sit up in bed or it feels worse.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I think that your symptoms are due to IBS.
Almost 50% of patients with IBS develop heartburn eventually.
Early feeling of fullness, abdominal fullness and bloating are symptoms of IBS.
Bloating and belching are symptoms of GERD, too.
It's good to know that sometimes eating a large amounts of fiber-rich foods too fast can cause gas and bloating.
Abdominal bloating can result from chronic constipation, if you suffer from constipation form of IBS.
It is possible that both conditions (GERD, IBS) add one to another.
Feeling tired is very characteristic for IBS.
Since, all of these symptoms are vague and can be due to other more serious conditions, is best for you to visit your doctor for true evaluation.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied January 9th, 2009
Experienced User
can i ask what GERD is please as i too have ibs and get constipation constanlty, it actually hurts and makes me bleed every single time i go to the toilet!!
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
ibs symptoms - pain and contipation predominant
i have been diagnosed ibs constipation, went many times to different doctors, gyn, gi doctor, regular doctor (had endocrine tests conducted requested by my gi doctor) pancreas, colon, rep. system checkups, etc..all checked but still not satisfied, i had a lot of stress, that something is there, even one of my doctors prescribed me antidepressants i was declared healthy, and that ibs came because of my bad diet taht included mcdonalds each that, i had to have a prep to clear my severe contipation, with stool softeners i became very normal now..i have fewer bms because i'm taking very low fat diet and eating less...in ibs diet and exercise should be a best treatment, it's the more natural way but stool softeners might be handy if the constipation is severe, never use laxative an enema, use laxatives only if you cannot go at all (always if tests/doctors phy exams prove there is no bowel obstruction)...i have bouts of tiredness with my ibs, but since i eliminated fat from my diet i rarely get tired...and yes first go to a doctor to determine the cause of your ibs symptoms, as i already mentioned i have been to more than one, and even hospitalized!
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
constipation ibs sufferer
i have been diagnosed ibs constipation, went many times to different doctors, gyn, gi doctor, regular doctor (had endocrine tests conducted requested by my gi doctor) pancreas, colon, rep. system checkups, etc..all checked but still not satisfied, i had a lot of stress, that something is there, even one of my doctors prescribed me antidepressants i was declared healthy, and that ibs came because of my bad diet taht included mcdonalds each that, i had to have a prep to clear my severe contipation, with stool softeners i became very normal now..i have fewer bms because i'm taking very low fat diet and eating less...in ibs diet and exercise should be a best treatment, it's the more natural way but stool softeners might be handy if the constipation is severe, never use laxative an enema, use laxatives only if you cannot go at all (always if tests/doctors phy exams prove there is no bowel obstruction)...i have bouts of tiredness with my ibs, but since i eliminated fat from my diet i rarely get tired...and yes first go to a doctor to determine the cause of your ibs symptoms, as i already mentioned i have been to more than one, and even hospitalized!
|