Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Constant abdominal pain with diarrhea

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Hello there,

I am a 23 yo female with constant abdominal pain for 10 days now. I first thought i was having a stomach flu because of the nauseousness and the diarrhea, but now it just continues on.

I am constantly nauseous, especially after eating (it doesn't matter if it's 3 bites or a full meal) and the pain get's worse and worse. It feels like the pain is roaming in my abdomen, then some mild pain on the left, then upper left, near my chest and even where my kidneys/lungs are situated. I can't fall asleep because of the nausea and the mild pain, and constantly feeling like you have to go to the bathroom doesn't help either. Not even speaking of the dizziness i feel sometimes.

this all started on the last day of my city trip to Barcelona, so maybe it was the food, but now i am just not sure anymore. Can it also help that i am suffering from withdrawal symptoms considering medication (though i just quit them 2 days ago).

thanks alot in advance!

greets,

Riekie

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A10572
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. There are 2-3 likely possibilities in your case.

The first is a gastric ulcer/gastritis. This can result in a pain which comes immediately after eating.

The remedy is antacids & drugs which decrease the acid production like omeprazole, rabeprazole etc.

The 2nd possibility is the gall bladder disease (gallstones). This can also present with pain and nausea immediately after eating but in this usually the pain is more in the right upper abdomen which may radiate to the shoulder.

An USG of the abdomen helps in the diagnosis. The 3rd possibility is acute pancreatitis.

This is diagnosed by doing a serum amylase/lipase which are raised and a CT scan of the abdomen is the confirmatory test. Please do consult a gastroenterologist for the confirmation of the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.