Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Consistent UTI's & pelvic pain- doctors can not find the sou

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Hello all,

I'm 23 years old and for the last 4-5 months, I have been living in misery. In the past 2 months alone, I have been diagnosed with 3 separate UTI's. This is not my first time dealing with UTI issues, I seem to get them easily once or twice a year, but never this common. In the past 2 months I have been treated with the following: Bactrim for the first UTI, then Cipro for the 2nd, then Diflucan (for a yeast infection that the antibiotics caused), Cipro again for the third, UTA for the third (which made me vomit, and I ceased taking), and Ultracet for pain. I was referred to a urologist who I saw on Monday, who did a vaginal and urine culture, along with a pelvic exam to ensure everything seemed appropriate concerning the positioning of my bladder. After the exam/appointment, she indicated that everything seemed normal and that some people are just "more susceptible to UTI's than others." After months of agony, that was the answer that I got...an answer that I already knew. She also gave me the "do's/don'ts" on how to prevent UTI's, which again after dealing with UTI's once/twice a year for the past 5-6 years, I am well aware of. One thing I do remember is that she mentioned that I had a small vaginal cyst during the exam. She put me on a daily dose of Macrodantin, and said we would try "suppression." Today, her office called with the results of both of my culture's (urine and vaginal) and the results were all negative. The last four days, I had been feeling normal so I started to feel a little bit of hope that I had found the cure for my misery, but I was wrong. Tonight, at work, I began experiencing the dreaded twinge of pain once more, which of course has increased as time has went on. I am miserable and at the point of depression because no one can tell me what is wrong with me. Other symptoms I am having: I get sharp vaginal/pelvic pain before my period, so painful that it brings me to tears...this has been happening for the last 3 months. I am experiencing pain during intercourse...I have been tested twice in the last 3 months for STD's, and the tests came back negative. I have been in a monogamous relationship since January of this year, so it is not even something that I am worried about anyways. I have an appointment with the gynecologist on the 31st but I am on the verge on tears every day, because something is wrong with me and doctors are dismissing me as if I am clueless. I have nothing to take for the excruciating pain because I am young and the doctors I have seen refuse to prescribe narcotic/pain medicine because they assume it will be abused. I am at my wits end and not sure what to do. I cannot take much more as it is working (quickly) on my nerves and mental state to have to experience this pain on a daily basis. Just posting to see if anyone has had a similar experience.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2010
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The excruciating pain and the symptoms (sharp vaginal/pelvic pain before period, pain during intercourse, no STD’s) suggest possibility of PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), ovarian cyst, or endometriosis.
Discuss with your gynecologist about possibility of getting a diagnostic laparoscopy done to look for endometrial implants and adhesions in pelvis. The implants can be removed during the procedure itself along with adhesiolysis if adhesions are found. This will reduce the pain. Also discuss about getting started on ‘progesterone only’ pills to control symptoms due to endometriosis.
Take care.
|

replied November 6th, 2010
Your story is the exact same as mine, only I have yet to make it to the urologist as I have no insurance. It is ruining my relationship, as I no longer want to have sex because everytime I do I get another UTI or BV or both. I recently started Paraguard (about 3 months ago) and it seems I have a non stop i fection of some sort ever since...I hear the whole line about prevention of UTI/BV often from my doctor but it is just not cutting it. I have also been tested for std's 3 times in last 6 months altough I am also in a monogamous relationship and everything is always negative...I am also depressed and at a loss. Wish I could have my girl parts removed and just go on with my life.
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2010
I've been experiencing the same thing for the past three years and i always had problems with Yeast Infections, Bladder Infections, and Bacterial Vaginosis. I've had only three partners since i was 17 (The second one i was with for three years) And im currently seeing the third guy. I would always get pain in my lower abdomen and lower back...migraines that could kill, very drowsy 24/7 plus the horrible creamy vaginal secretions. Now I HAVE been tested multiple times for STI's/STD's and they always came up negative, I am very clean as well i dont like the thought of being dirty down there and I went regularly for my PAP test yet they always told me despite that, im healthy...

Now I just went to the doctors, complaining YET AGAIN of my pain and wanting a solution because it is ridiculous how much i have to pay just to get some form of relief and i just found out that i apparently have PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease) I had no idea what it was, my doctor was very brief on it and prescribed me both Ciproflox and Metronidazole, a total of 8 pills a day... The thing that frightened me the most was that i read on the internet that the leading cause of PID is actually gonorrhea and chlamydia, but as i said before...that came up negative.

So where i got PID is a mystery but hopefully this will end it all. I just hope it doesnt mess up my Fallopian tubes or my chances of getting pregnant in the far future (It also mentioned that)

I just wish it would go away, its totally ruining my sexual relationship with my bf, always with the pain and the thought of it coming back...

Good Luck though
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.