Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

confusion when waking up in the middle of the night

Hi,

About once a month I wake up in the middle of the night and I don't know where I am, even though I'm in my bedroom. It's like I'm waking up in a new location and I don't recognize anything in the bedroom to the point that I don't even recognize my wife sleeping next to me. I get so weirded out by the strange person sleeping next to me (my wife) that I'll get up and put more clothes on before returning to bed. Has this happened to anyone else on such a regular basis? It's happening more and more frequently.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper laceyph
|

replied August 22nd, 2010
waking up confused in the middle of the night
it happens to me too, i think maybe it happens when i am exhausted, i wake up sort of still dreaming...it can't be all that rare, it's in a Paul Simon song..."if you wake up in the middle of a night, and for a fraction of a section, can't remember where you are..."
it has happened to me twice, he first time, I was very groggy, i didn't know who my husband was, and it happened again and I didn't recognize my bedroom, I knew who i was though and after a few seconds it cleared up...Trust in the Lord.
|

replied September 4th, 2010
I've been getting something very similar lately. Basically since I've started my new job so it's likely to be exhaustion related. In my case I wake up and think that I'm outside my room or at work and I really have to stop and convince myself that it's the middle of the night and I'm miles away. Still trying to find a cure though...

And yes, trust in Lord Vader.
|

replied July 13th, 2014
This has happened a few times to me recently. I wake up and I can't remember where I am or recognize anything around me. I mean I know what they are (the clock, the dresser, the lamp) but it's like I've never seen them before. It takes a lot longer than it should to shake the feeling. Everyone has had that where am I moment that lasts for a split second, but this is minutes long. And what's really scary to me is that I can't remember having had kids. I heard a baby crying and I thought my husband left the tv on. It wasn't until I followed the sound that I remembered the 4 month old boy in the crib. The feeling itself isn't scary, but that scared the heck out of me! I don't know if I'm dreaming (at least I don't remember dreaming) or if I'm losing my mind. I'm 34 and relatively healthy, so I don't know what is causing it. Maybe over exhaustion. Or time travel.
|